Friday, July 23, 2010

This is Larry

The first time I saw Larry he was performing a natural act on top of our fence. (flash back) After that day, we'd see him from time to time in various places around the top of our backyard fence. Almost as quickly as Doug named him Lawrence, his name was shortened to Larry - nicknames are what we do around here!

Living in the desert, it's common to see gecko lizards from time to time. We like them - they eat bugs and are said to be good luck. Whatever. I just think they're cool. The really cool thing about Larry is that he's about four times bigger than our average gecko, and we think he's a different breed...we've never seen a lizard like this around here. Of course, that makes him even more interesting and it's more fun when he shows up here and there.

I've tried taking pictures of Larry over the past few months. Doug will shout, "Larry's out!" and I'll come running with my camera. One day I even got my telephoto lens out, but Larry was still so far away that the photos were nothing to write home about.

Then yesterday while I was on the computer, Doug yelled, "Deb! Come quick!" He was standing in our front room, pointing to the window. Larry was wedged between the glass and the screen. I ran for my camera and took a few shots.

At the time I took these photos I could see some of the beautiful blue on his belly, but when I uploaded the photos and had a closer look I was SO excited. I hope you can click on these photos and see a larger view. The scales on his tummy look like a beaded mosaic.


Nature is so amazing.

Art in the raw.

14 comments:

humel said...

Wow, how gorgeous! Hello Larry :-)

Dave said...

He's beautiful!!!
I wish we had gorgeous nature running around Brooklyn. Maybe I'll take some stunning shots of the next roach or rat I see. ;)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Haha. Don't be fooled, Robyn! We have some fairly ugly critters running around here too. The worst are the sewer roaches that are 2-3" long. Ew!!! HATE those!!!

Mom said...

Amazing shots! Well done, Sweetie! Once you name it, you can't eat it!! xo

debs14 said...

Amazing photos Deb! These are going to make a great scrapbook page sometime soon I hope!

Maria Ontiveros said...

He does look like a beaded purse! Very cool. Have you done any research on what type of gecko he is?
Rinda

Rhona said...

Isn't nature wonderful, when you look closely and see all the detail it's quite breathtaking! I hope Larry sticks around for a while :)

sharyncarlson said...

How amazing! Who knew he'd be so beautiful?!

Amy said...

Larry is quite a treasure.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

HellO Larry! He is kind of cute, for a lizard! Great photos!

traci said...

larry has some pretty colors going on.

Cheryl said...

Wow absalutely amazing. I can see a LO out of Larry x

Margaret said...

Larry is beautiful, and if he eats your bugs he's even perfect.

Ruth said...

Who knew that geckos could be so pretty?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...