Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sweet treats {and an added extra}

My grandma is turning 90 years old in a couple of weeks and we'll be traveling to California to join in celebration with my family. My mom and aunt have been busy planning her birthday party, and I volunteered to make the party favors.
.
I made the tags by creating a circle in Microsoft Word (WordArt feature). I printed 20 to a page then I stamped the butterfly with a rubber stamp once the page was printed, colored the butterflies in with a colored pencil, then used purple Stickles to add some sparkle.

And here's a sweet little secret about these tags: the font is Carrie's handwriting! We uploaded our handwriting to YourFonts.com - a free site for creating fonts using your own handwriting. I wasn't happy with the way mine turned out, but I just love Carrie's printing and I thought it was a nice touch for her Great-Grandmother's party favors.

I made 60 of these party favor bags ~ some are printed with "Happy 90th Birthday Gertrude!" and some read "Happy 90th Birthday Grandma!" My mom plans to place them randomly on the party tables. I can't wait to see these shiny bags with little bits of purple dotting the party landscape! :o)

10 comments:

Mom said...

I am more than a little impressed! You always manage to take what would be a simple project for most people and turn it into a work of art! They are beautiful and Grandma will love them! Lots of detail and work! And Carrie's handwriting looks so professional--you two are unbelievable!!! Thanks so much for taking care of these for me! xoxo

humel said...

How exciting - and how lovely! What gorgeous handwriting Carrie has, and what a pity your's didn't turn out so well - you have lovely writing. I've come across that site before but I can't see me turning my scrawl into a font somehow!!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

These are great! What a perfect personal touch. And I am sure your grandma will love them. Well done, my friend, well done.
xx,
Steph

sharyncarlson said...

Adorable!! And what a fun touch to use Carrie's handwriting. Lovely work, Deb!

Maria Ontiveros said...

These are awesome! I'm sure they'll be a hit. Where are you heading? Did you say you grew up near Fresno? I'll wave in your direction.
Rinda

debs14 said...

They are beautiful, you've been working hard on these! So many to do. I tried making my handwriting into a font once ... never used it! It's scruffy in real life and it's even scruffier as a font! Maybe I'll borrow Carries ;-)

Cheryl said...

They are gorgeous I am sure everyone will love them. What a great idea with your handwriting, makes it more personal. Will have to go and have a look now x

Amy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Deb!
I have seen and heard about getting your own print/writing as a font ... years ago I may have considered it but now that I type so often my writing has deteriorated considerably.

Rachel said...

They are so pretty. I love Carrie's handwriting, such a lovely touch. That purple is so pretty.

Rhona said...

The little bags are lovely and I may well steal your idea for a little party we have coming up soon. Hope your Grandma has a wonderful birthday! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...