Monday, February 24, 2014

Around here this weekend.

Good morning, blog friends.
Is it just me, or did this weekend recap roll around super quick?
It's the same show/different Monday:
busy weekend, lots of sunshine, wish I had one more day...

Let's start with Saturday: I was on the go from start to finish. I spent a couple of hours in my craft room cleaning up crafting messes. When it gets to the point that all of my work spaces are covered with this-that-and-the-other-thing, it's time to stop everything and put some stuff away! It needed it badly. I always set the alarm on my phone to remind me when it's time to stop and get ready for yoga, otherwise I am so distracted I'd just keep plugging right along.
 
Then yoga class and straight home afterwards where I switched gears and got myself ready to go to a wedding. The bride and groom are friends of Carrie's and she landed the gig as their wedding photographer and brought me along for the ride. I thought I'd done well at the end of the night with 642 photos, but Carrie ended with well over 2,000. Awesome.
 

Yesterday morning I got up and began my time in the kitchen - for pretty much the entire day. I made biscuits for breakfast - we ate them with butter and honey and some hard-boiled eggs out on the patio. Then I mixed up a batch of chocolate chip cookies - baked a batch and froze the rest for later.
 
And then I started with the blood oranges. Again. Remember when I tried making orange marmalade last month and it didn't turn out quite right? Well, I was determined to give it another try and I really didn't want to mess with it this weekend but the fruit remaining on the tree was starting to fall off and/or become sweet treats for our local bird pests friends. My window of opportunity was closing and I needed to seize the moment. So yesterday Doug picked some fruit for me and I stuck myself in the kitchen for several hours and made another batch of orange jam with a different recipe.
 
I think this batch turned out much better but I won't know until tonight as it has to sit for 24 hours before we pop one of the jars open. Either way, I am totally over blood orange marmalade. Over. It. I was determined to try my hand at it while we still had access to this blood orange tree and I've accomplished that feat and am ready to move on!
 
Oh, one thing I missed on Saturday was Lucky's one-year anniversary. Can you believe he's been our pup for a whole year now? I had plans to make a big deal, take some photos of him in a birthday hat or something, but the day was so full of other stuff that it just didn't happen. Shhh...I don't think he noticed. Instead he just got a few extra treats over the course of the weekend.


I think everything that could possibly bloom is blooming in Arizona right now. The poppies in our front yard are starting to open, and the orange trees are covered in blossoms. Oh my gosh, I love the smell of orange blossoms! These on our blood orange trees will make some awesome jam for the next owner of this house come next January/February. Haha - have fun with that, new owner!

And now it's time to work our way through the final week of February. There's going to be a new baby in our family this week ♥!!! and I have all kinds of craft projects to finalize and wrap up. There are a few things I'm working on that are surprises for a couple of people who just might read my blog, and you know it's killing me to not be able to share them here. Or on Instagram. Eeeeeep!!! So exciting!!!
 
I think I'll just hold that thought and do my best to maintain that level of excitement as I make my way through Monday. I hope each of you have something fun to focus on this week! If not, promise me you'll do your best to find something to be excited about! :o)
 
Happy thoughts make happy days...

11 comments:

Susi said...

Those biscuits look wonderful! Hope your jam turns out this time around. Sounds like you had yet another fun filled weekend. Me, still packing up the house for the move. Happy 1 Yr. Anniversary Lucky! Enjoy your week Deb.

helena said...

I love 'hope you have something fun to focus on' as a greeting / wish. I'm focussing on a new crafting for charity group - friendship, chat and doing something for others all wrapped together. can't believe you've had Lucky for a year - time does whizz by

Jo said...

Another fabulous weekend, I really do enjoy these posts. I cannot believe that you've had Lucky for a year, it feels like only yesterday that you got him x

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

You really know how to make the most out of a weekend Deb! Have a great week!

Audrey said...

Okay, I bought some Orange Blossom/Honey scented soap this weekend because I remembered you'd said that orange blossoms smell so good. And I do LOVE this soap. Hoping one day I can experience the real thing though! And I'm still so happy about your One Year Anniversary with Lucky. Lucky parents and even luckier boy! I am a Board Member again for the Golden Rescue (I MADE them put me back on the Board after I lost my Hubbs! It makes me feel so much better!) and we had our Have-A-Heart party Saturday night, an event to celebrate owners who rescued last year. It was so nice! Those biscuits looks DELICIOUS and I hope your jam is yummy. I'm also working on a little somethin' somethin' for a blog friend. Can't wait to see what you're up to. Clara starts a new school next week and she'll move from 14 hours a week to 30. HOLLA! My to-do list is a gazillion miles long. I will miss her but I am DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY to have more time to myself. (Sorry for the long comment!)

scrappyjacky said...

I love your wedding photo....so cool.

debs14 said...

I think you should try and germinate a few seedlings from the pips of one of those blood oranges, then you can plant them out in the garden of your new home and in ten years time you can go through this fun all over again!

Abi said...

That looks like such a beautiful and bountiful garden Deb. How lovely to be basking in the sunshine. Hope the jam turned out better than last time! The wedding photo is beautiful too.

Amy said...

How did you and Carrie find the wedding photographer experience? I know how Carrie feels, the ones I've done have resulted in that many photos - it becomes somewhat of a systematic cull!

Margaret said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. As I mentioned making jam was so stressful when I tried it. There are organizations here that will harvest your tree and give the fruit to the needy. Maybe that could be something to look into for next year..

Karen said...

So many beautiful colors in your photographs this weekend. I'm just dying for some bright color around here. I LOVE your chicken in the first one. Sounds like a great weekend to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...