Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Say Hello to Lucky the Dog


So…I took last Friday afternoon off and met my sister and my niece {Presley} at the mall for lunch. As soon as we met up, Presley started in, “Please, Aunt Deb, will you come to the pet store with me? I want to show you the cute dogs and cats! Pleeeeeaasssse.” I thought it would be a good chance for me to spend a little time with Pres, since we rarely get to see each other, so we sent my sister off to do her own shopping, and we headed for the pet store.
I wish I had taken a photo {or a video} of my eight-year old niece skipping in front of me, leading the way back to the pet store where she’d already been that morning. Animals make this girl crazy-happy, and she knew the way back to the pet store.
Right away, I spotted a little calico cat alone and sad looking. My heart-strings were seriously tugged, and I took a photo to show Doug later on.
Presley led me through the store. “Look at this one, Aunt Deb! Oh! And THIS one!!! Oh, sooooooo cute! Hello, little cat. Awwwww, hello, little puppy…” It was breaking her heart to see those sad little guys in cages!
My attempts to leave the store kept falling on deaf ears, so I set the timer on my phone for three minutes and told her to make another quick round because when the timer went off, we were out of there! On our way out, we noticed that one of the little dogs had been pulled from his cage and was in the center petting area. Presley and I both went over to pet him, and I took a photo for Doug to see. Just because.
When we got back to our house I showed Doug the photos I had taken of the little calico cat. I asked, and he agreed, that we’d go back the following day and if the cat was still there we’d bring her home.
Flipping through the photos on my phone, I said, “Oh yeah, and there was this cute little dog…looks like he has a little Queensland Healer or Australian Shepherd in him…”
Within a half an hour Doug and I were back in the car, with Presley along for the ride, headed back to the mall to see about this little dog. Long story made a little shorter: we adopted him and brought him home that day. 
{Yes, he sports a teal collar}
Here’s what we know about him: He appears to be a dachshund mix – looks a lot like the slinky dog from Toy Story. He’s 24 pounds, about four years old, and spent the majority of February in the County Animal Control facility. The Arizona Animal Welfare League rescues animals whose time is “running out” at the pound, and brings them to their store on the mall for adoption. Our little dog had just arrived that afternoon, and we were happy to get him the heck out of that cage.
And he was happy too! He’s a sweet little dog and very mellow. He wasn’t impressed with the neighborhood cat {Hobo Joe} and immediately chased him out of our backyard, but when it comes to Whiskers, he's cool - and Whiskers seems very relaxed about our new roommate as well.
We kicked around a few names and finally settled on Lucky.
Oh, but make no mistake, the dog isn’t the only lucky one around here.

16 comments:

traci said...

oh deb. congrats to you and lucky too. he is so cute. those eyes!!! i have goosebumps. it was meant to be. we have rescued many dogs and they make the best pets. they are so grateful.

Robyn said...

awwwww!!!! Love it!!

Ruth said...

Presley must be in 7th heaven! Such a cute pooch!

Cheri said...

I truly cringed when you said pet store - so glad to know that Lucky is actually a shelter rescue! And boy is it obvious where Doug's heart lies...

Audrey said...

Yay! That is so AWESOME! How lucky for all of you that you have each other. I'm sure Lucky will bring you YEARS of sweet puppy happiness. He's so precious. Congratulations!!! Made my heart soar to read this ~ I wish all pups were rescued ones!

Becky said...

You are both lucky!

Irene said...

Lucky is so darn cute. Love that teal collar on him. I think Presley will be visiting you and Lucky more often. Adopting Lucky is a win win situation for all.

Rhona said...

So cute that Presley was able to be there when you adopted Lucky :) I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with him xx

alexa said...

Ah, Lucky will be in clover with a pair of loving softies like the two of you looking after him! Welcome, Lucky - I am sure we'll be seeing more of you :).

Kirsti said...

What a ute little pooch....we have chosen a puppy at the weekend as well...he will be ours at te end of April..can't wait!

Karen said...

What a cutie! I love his eyes, and he is a lucky little dog! I'd love to have another dog, but we're doing too much traveling to justify it.

Ginger said...

Deb I love these photos of him! The last time I went to look at the cats at the pet store it broke my heart. This little guy is so adorable and I'll say it again, it's obvious he is happy and it's good to hear WhiskersJay is making him feel welcome too :) I can't wait to see more photos of Lucky the dog!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I'll say it again - that Doug is a keeper! I think it's great that he was all about adopting the dog. And what beautiful eyes the dog has. I hope that Lucky's a good car dog and goes off on adventures with you and Doug.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

He's adorable and what eyes! I wish we could have another dog but we travel too much so it wouldn't be fair to him/her. So glad to read the pet store was actually an Animal Welfare League store.

Susan said...

He is such a cutie! I think you all are pretty lucky to have found each other! Hugs to you, my friend! xoxo

Jimjams said...

What a great aunt you are ... and you will make a great home for Lucky as well!
Is that cat coming home too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...