Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Piñatas for the Party

This weekend is my mom's birthday! {yay!}
Doug, Carrie, and I are so excited to be traveling to California this
weekend to celebrate with a whole lot of friends and family.


Mom's party will be held at a Mexican restaurant and I made piñatas for the occasion. The original plan was to use them as table centerpieces until I found out there were going to be 15 tables and I had to put the brakes on. This was quite a contrast to my original thoughts in the beginning where I imagined myself making piñatas as gifts for everyone I knew to match whatever occasion they were celebrating. I had thought, "I'll be the piñata girl!" mmmm...No.


These little guys were not difficult to make, but proved to be quite time consuming. I know, I should have done a tutorial but alas, I did not take photos of the process beyond my initial shot of the paper maché balloons drying on my kitchen counter.


I used crepe paper streamers - you know the stuff that comes in a roll? I used pieces about 12 inches long, folded in half and fringed on the fold edge. {Doug and Carrie helped me with cutting fringe and my awesome shoulder thanks them!} Then I glued them in strips from the bottom up until the entire base was covered.


I filled the piñatas with candy and a few little random toys, then covered up the hole. The horse's belly is where the candy went in. The strawberry leaves cover its filling hole, and the little birdie's feet keep the candy inside of him. I designed these so that the recipient can easily open the piñata without having to bust the whole thing open in the traditional way.


We've giving these piñatas away as prizes at Mom's party.
Which one is your favorite?
{I'm partial to the little birdie.}

22 comments:

Jimjams said...

These are all brilliant and the birdie is too cute for words! I like the idea of the strawberry suspended though - it's beautiful!

scrappyjacky said...

I'm with you....that little birdie is sooooooooo cute.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

The little birdie is very cute, but the strawberry is my favourite :o)

Cheri said...

They are all adorable, but I agree the little birdie takes the cake!
Happy Birthday to Marti! Hope you all have a great trip.

Irene said...

It's hard for me to choose. They are all soooo cute and colorful.

Sian said...

Another birthday. I'm quietly thankful.

They are fabulous - I will be showing them to TSO who loves a pinata and will probably ask if you could come round and make one for her too..

traci said...

oh my....those are just too cute. you have got to be one of the most creative people i know.

Kirsti said...

Aaaw Deb these are just too cute...love the little birdie one too...
Happy birthday to your 'mom'...
Hugs
Kirsti xxx

debs14 said...

That bird is just so cute. Hope your mum has a fabulous birthday.

Robyn said...

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/958083/cinco-de-mayo-pinata-cookies

DEB!!! LOOK!!!

your pinatas are amazing. AMAZING. SUPER cute.

Maria Ontiveros said...

The bird has such an expressive face! I like the horse myself. Have you heard the new commercial for "The Most Interesting Man in the World?" It's Cinco de Mayo themed, and my favorite line is "His pinatas . . . fight back." LOL!
Have to go pop something in the mail!
Rinda

Alison said...

Love them all..it's going to be an awesome celebration:)
Alison xx

Jo.C said...

Think it is the expression on the face you have created on the bird. Do love them all. Super talented.

Unknown said...

I love these and I'm so happy you made them! My favorite (as you already know) is the horse/donkey. I am going to do everything in my power to bring that guy back home with us.

Denise said...

I love the birdie- have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday to Marti xx

Karen said...

If I had a CRAFTY AWARD to give out, it would certainly go to you. I am particularly fond of the birdie myself. Have a fabulous weekend!

Amanda said...

I think the birdie is my favourite too. Have a great party :)

Anonymous said...

The little birdie does it for me too.

Ruth said...

It seems the birdie wins hands down. I'm with Sian on being thankful for another birthday ~ hope Marti's parcel arrived safely.

Amy said...

Gosh you are so clever!

Happy Birthdat Marti! :-)

Mom said...

These are so adorable! Don't have a fave--love them all! You put so much of your talent and time into these and I am beyond appreciative! Thanks, Sweetie! Love you and be safe on the drive! xoxo

PS: Thanks for the birthday wishes, all you wonderful ladies out there!! xoxo

Ginger said...

Sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday Marti! I'm sure you had a grand time what with all those pinatas! My favorite is definitely the birdie!! Well done Deb :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...