Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Heaven

It's fall, my friends.
And nothing says fall to me like the taste of a pumpkin dessert.
Feast your eyes on some pumpkin amazing-ness.
!!!

First I found this recipe for Pumpkin Crunch and thought it sounded yummy and easy to put together. And then I saw this recipe for Pumpkin Dump Cake and knew I had to give it a try. The recipes are very similar, but the dump cake recipe had a few additions that called my name: brown sugar, graham crackers, and toffee bits. 


I've had "dump cake" before - made with cherries and yellow cake mix. That's a no-fail recipe and oh so yummy, so when I saw it in a pumpkin form I pretty much knew I couldn't go wrong. The first part was basically pumpkin pie filling...


The second part - sprinkling on a whole box of yellow cake mix - always puzzles me. How is this going to work?


And the pouring on of two melted cubes of butter? That's when I started feeling guilty about the calories I was about to consume.


And as if that wasn't enough? Ice cream on the side. {I totally blame this part on Doug!}


Final verdict? WOW! VERY delicious and I can't wait to make this dessert for a family gathering. Even though I didn't make the "pumpkin crunch" recipe, this particular dish was really crunchy on top the next day. In fact, it was a little hard to cut with a knife, but eating it was wonderful and crunchy - kind of like a butterscotch crunch topping. {recipe found here}

I'm going to have one more piece of this then package the rest up to take to work. My co-workers are gonna' love this...

14 comments:

furrypig said...

my mouth is actually watering looking at that dump cake Deb! Never heard of it before and not sure what to use as we don't have pumpkin pie puree here will have to google it to find an alternative maybe thanks so much for sharing xxx

Unknown said...

I'm out of it at my house, so save me one more piece, please! This stuff is SO yummy...though I am jealous that I didn't get to have it the first day when the top was soft and there was ice cream involved. I think that means you need to make it again! :)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o) Pumpkin puree is just cooked/canned pumpkin - nothing else added.

And to Carrie - that stuff is LONG gone sweet girl! I'll hook you up next time. xo

Unknown said...

my mom always make dump cake with the cherries for thanksgiving but this one sounds better I am going to try it for sure!

Cheryl said...

Mmmm sound yummy but unfortunately we do not have any pumpkin puree here just pumpkins at around halloween never mind x

Alison said...

Looks and sounds delish, Deb..have never heard of 'dump' cake before!!
Alison xx

Mom said...

In a word--YUM! You may have to make that at Val's on Thanksgiving! Lovely photos and how-to's! xo

Beverly said...

Yay, was hoping you wouldn't wait long before posting this. Can't wait to make, we love pumpkin!

Amy said...

I always giggle at the food combinations that come out of the US, we used to stare in awe when we watched a movie or a sitcom and they would be making peanut butter and jelly/jam sandwiches ... and the whole syrup and bacon combination still has me gagging ... anyway, with all of that said, pumpkin, butterscotch and cake??? How sweet is this? How savory is this? I am confused ... should I just shoosh up and make it? And, we don't have canned pumpking here, I'd have to mash some up .. what sort of pumpkin and how watery is the mix?

Sorry to be a difficult commentator today! ;-) This all comes lovingly said from the girl who lives in a country which espouses Vegemite!

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous! I've never heard of dump cake, either. Sarah chose Pumpkin Spice for her shower cake. It was dense, moist, and absolutely delicious!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I'm a huge fan of pumpkin chocolate chip combinations and this looks like another winner! It would be perfect for a book group gathering.
Rinda

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I don't even like pumpkin that much and this still looks amazing. PINNING!

humel said...

It looks and sounds delicious :) That's a LOT of butter though!!

Michellefinaz said...

I've got the recipe saved to my desktop and I already had the ingredients. I'll be making it for the Pumpkin Carving party at SIL's house next weekend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...