Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just one of those days...


Making cards has never been one of my favorite things to do. I know some of you love it, and are really really good at it (which is probably why you love it), but it's just not my thing.


I had an idea in my head for this birthday card for my mom, and now that her birthday is past I can share it with you. I must say I am happy with the way it turned out, but it wasn't something I threw together in 10 minutes time. I think I could have put together an entire mini-book in the amount of time I spent on this. (Not that Mom isn't worth it...I'm just sayin'...)

Tonight I put together a card for my grandma for Mother's Day (yes, it's coming up this Sunday, though I know my UK friends have already celebrated it this year). The card has to be in the mail tomorrow so there's that pressure, and I just couldn't get it right. I know we all have those times...it's so frustrating...

My craft table is an absolute wreck right now, so I think that could have been part of the problem - maybe that's blocking my mojo. And the stinkin' cat would not stay off my table. Even when I brought it out to the computer table, Whiskers came along. Poor light for this photo, but the paper does have a vintage, off-white tone anyway. Even though I have fussed over this card, I know my grandmother will love it. (The photo is of her as a baby with her mother - my great-grandmother.)

The Mother's Day card I made for my mom didn't photograph well at all, so I won't be sharing that one this time around.

Ugh! I just read over this post and I think it conveys that I'm kind of in a crabby mood. (ya' think?) I'm mad at card making. Maybe I'll just whip up a batch of cookies...I'm consistently satisfied with that...
:o}

16 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm with you on the card making! However, yours do look absolutely lovely, so stop worrying!

Lizzie said...

Ah, I sympathise! I do enjoy making cards, normally.. but I have times where I just hate it - usually when there are several that need doing at once, they are important enough to "matter" and I have too much else to do as well!
I did come across something interesting the other day, which was "Card Sketches" - you know, like the sketches people make for Scrapbook pages. If I can remember where I saw it, I'll try and come back & leave a link... memory is working... someone made a lovely set of cards for a gift/giveaway/charity event... and she used Card Sketches...
Anyway, I was thinking that these might make it easier for me, when I'm having one of my uninspired days - maybe you'd find them helpful too...
Otherwise, there's always the good old basic A6 size card, vertical, divided into 3rds, with an embellishment on a matt in the top 2/3rds and some kind of ribbon/lace/paper strip, with the card greeting across the lower 1/3, perhaps with a flower or some buttons to embellish it. It's a bit lazy, it's a bit "ordinary", but it works!

Lizzie said...

Found it! It was on Julie's blog here: http://jujusfolly.blogspot.com/2010/04/cps-163.html

A link to "Card Positioning Systems" blog, where they give different card sketches each day!

http://networkedblogs.com/31qWW

melissa kaye said...

Ok, I've been seriously telling myself that I MUST get on the ball with opening the box to the little hand-held sewing machine I bought. Geez..it's been over 6 months! Ok, more like 8..Eek! :-/ And, I need someone to teach me how to sew onto cards. I have no clue what I'm doing.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love both your cards - I love bunting and I love photo cards (especially heritage photos). So I say, "yea!". Thanks for the reminder to get MIL's card in the mail.
Rinda

Sian said...

I'm with you on the card making too! But I love what you've done..I don't think you could turn out a bad craft project if you tried Deb!

humel said...

Your cards are stunning, Deb - but I know how it feels to get frustrated with it all too! Enjoy those well-earnt cookies xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards Deb especially the one for your Grandma. I do occasionally make cards but always say to the recipiant 'I'm sorry but I'm not a card maker' as I give it to them. I started off making cards before going on to do scrapbooking but cardmaking has come on leaps and bounds since I did it on a regular basis. Have a lovely Mother's Day xxx

MarleneMAZ said...

They are both great cards Deb.
I also do not like making cards so can sympathize with you.

scrappyjacky said...

I've got to the point where I just don't do crafts that frustrate me...I love cardmaking,but if I didn't I'd just buy one!!!!
But yours do look great.... especially the second one which I love.
So ...enjoy the cookies.

debs14 said...

I especially love your grandmother's card, what a lovely idea to personalise it with a photo. She will LOVE it!

traci said...

i think cards are harder too. but let me tell you girl, that card for your grandma is absolutely beautiful. love it!!!!!!

janae @ jelly roll said...

Cute! I love those colors on the bunting card! ;) It came out really cute but yes, I can imagine it took awhile to put it all together. Cookies always make things better. :)

helena said...

agree baking is much more satisfying than cardmaking - just cannot get in the groove with cards.

For important people like my mum and nan I now make a mini instead of a card - they seem happy and I'm happier making a little mini (2x2 usually - 6 sides)

Daphne said...

Ahhh, cards. I was into cardmaking last year, because I was a SU! Demonstrator. But know I changed the lines - and do only cards if its really necessary. I also did a bunting card yesterday and Mother's Day in Germany (although I'm in the UK) is the next Sunday so I need doing a card today too... Thanks for your inspiration! xoxoxo Daphne

Heather said...

I love the heritage card :) I'm the same as you when it comes to card making - it just doesn't 'happen'!! Well done you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...