* Tie up your package and leave the ends of the tied yarn long
* Loosely wind yarn around your hand. (In this case I used just three fingers because I wanted it to be a bit smaller.) For this one I wound around 15 times.
* Carefully slip the yarn off your fingers and position it on top of the loose ends on your package like this:
* Tie the loose ends up and around, pulling tightly to secure the yarn loops.
* Trim the ends to the same length as the loops
* Clip the loops and fluff the yarn to finish your pompom.
I've seen pompom makers that make tight, fluffy pompoms, but I like this method for a loose and slightly messy looking pom for gift toppers. I also like to use different types of yarn in other colors to add some interest like this one that I did for my friend's baby shower.