Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's a jolly holiday with Mary...

...no wonder that it's Mary that we love.

When I was a little girl, I loved Mary Poppins. I was three years old when Disney released the movie starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke ~ that was in 1964. I don't remember actually seeing the movie back then, but I've seen it countless times during the course of my life.
.
Last night Carrie and I attended the Broadway production of Mary Poppins at Gammage Theater near Arizona State University. Despite some stormy weather (and can you believe we didn't have our umbrellas?!?!), being pressed for time getting to the theater, then parking (several blocks away), and sitting down just minutes before the play began, it was a wonderful evening!
.
Dare I say, practically perfect in every way?

Google image found here

I love the magic of the story, the no-nonsense-practical-but-fun way Mary Poppins asserts herself, the underlying romance between Bert and her (you know it's there!), and the music! The songs are some of my favorites. Of course, for the production last night the songs were re-mixed somewhat, and there were a couple I'd never heard before, but there were snippets of "Spoon full of sugar" and "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" throughout the performance.
.
Hm...I'm realizing as I write this that I'm not very good at writing a "review." How's this: If you are a Mary Poppins fan and have a chance to see this production, do it. You won't be disappointed.
.
.
On my list of things to do on this rainy Sunday: Breakfast with my in-laws, and then I'll be in my craft room for the remainder of the day. I'm going to finish my niece's guest book, and have a few other little goodies I'm working on.
.
Wishing each of you a blessed day!
xo

8 comments:

Lizzie said...

Glad you had a good time. It's true about Dick van Dyke's accent. I've also realised - seeing the film still on your post - why I always thought the robin looked odd. It's an American Robin, not a European one!

Still, the film is one of my favourites and I would like to see the show some time. I think it's still on in London somewhere. Along with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

Maria Ontiveros said...

oops. The internet ate my comment - I love Dick Van Dyke - great dancer! And we don't care about his accent in the US.
Rinda

humel said...

So glad you had a good time :-) Did they do Feed The Birds? That song makes me cry...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

LOL... It's funny that you mention his accent, Ruth. Like Rinda said, we don't really care about his accent in the US - probably because we have nothing solid to compare it to. I always thought he did a great job with it, but I'll listen with different ears the next time I see the movie.

And yes, Mel, they did feed the birds. :o)

Rhona said...

Ooh, lucky you. It's a fun movie and I'm sure it'll have been great in the theatre. My youngest DD has told me she's never seen Mary Poppins, not sure how that happened as we had the video??
Hope you've enjoyed your afternoon crafting :)

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Glad you had fun! (meanwhile, my daughter filled a box with little paper roses! :)) I want to take my kids to see it too!

helena said...

what fun - watched it on TV in January and still new the words to all the songs. I love that it has a big message as well as all the fun and silliness. And always impressed that their Mum was a suffragette and they included 'votes for women' in the song.

traci said...

i love mary poppins. could sing every song word for word when i was young. can still remember supercalifragilisticexpialadocious. how crazy is that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...