Saturday, February 27, 2010

Swirly flower power

I am loving these little flowers!!! I came across this video tutorial at Lollychops website. These are so easy and fun to make...I just had to share them. Be warned, they are addictive! I sat down and made 30 of them in an afternoon.
.
The video at Lollychops is FUN and I encourage you to give it a glance, but in the meantime, I took a few photos of the process...

♦ ♦ ♦

You start by cutting a circle (I used felt for this, but you can use paper as well), then cut the circle in a spiral toward the center. This one is about 2" across, and I don't worry about it being a perfect circle...

Grab the end with a pair of tweezers and start wrapping it around...

Continue wrapping until you get to the end/center of the circle...

Slip it off the tweezers and add a good glob of glue.

Here's what the bottom will look like:

I free-hand cut some leaves from green felt and glued them to the bottom. Super easy. :o)

♦ ♦ ♦

I had so much fun experimenting with the two different styles. If you cut the spiral in a wavy line, you get uneven rose petals like this:

And if you cut the spiral in a smooth line, you get a flat little flower like this:

And they are also very cute made with paper...

I think I'll use some of these flowers to decorate a spring-themed picture frame.

:o)

13 comments:

humel said...

Oh fab, love them!! I shall *definitely* be making some of these :-)

Maria Ontiveros said...

These are awesome! I think that dimensional flowers are very in-style right now, and it's so fun to see all the different varieties. These seem VERY do-=able. Thanks for the tutorial.
Rinda

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Deb you are amazing! (though I feel like such a slacker when I visit - lol!) Have a great weekend!

Best,
Stephanie

Sian said...

So clever! I've made these with paper, but I hadn't thought of felt. They are going on my "must try" list, for sure :)

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

yay! I made one and it came out cute! thanks Deb!! (now my 9 year old is cutting, and cutting, and cutting ... lol!!) thanks for posting this.
Best,
Stephanie

The Norman Clan said...

I think Savannah and I will make some this afternoon while the laundry is going. Thanks for the great idea!! Love it!! :-0

Mom said...

Very cute! Presley is here and we may give it a try later. What will I do if her's are better than mine?!? I may have to have a private lesson next weekend! xo

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Just catching up in Blogland today. I love these flowers made out of felt. You did a beautiful job! I tried one of the paper ones for V-day.
Also, your book binding job turned out amazing...WOW!!!
And the big letter 'B' with the darling little buttons was too-cute-for-words. : )
M.L.

Lizzie said...

Ah yes, Lollychops! She's so fab. Her video is great... but the photos here are very good too.
I have made these flowers in paper, lots of times, but they do look so special made with felt, or made nice and big out of scrapping papers (I made them for paper-quilling projects, using little circles of paper).
Thanks for sharing with us - those flowers you made are very pretty.

Rhona said...

These are great, you're so good at finding new things to make and I like the way you do a photo tutorial! Thanks for sharing.
How's the guest book coming on?

Unknown said...

...you didn't mention that you took the afternoon OFF work to make them! :)

Emilie Lynne said...

Oh I saw these last week on Lollychop's site and I tried them right away! Yours turned out 1000x more cute than mine did! I love the little pink roses <3

janae @ jelly roll said...

so cute and fun. love! would look great on a headband or hairclip too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...