Sunday, February 21, 2010

"B" is for Brennan

*****
I'm going to a baby shower today.
*****

Our oldest niece, Jessica is expecting a baby a boy and today I'm going to her baby shower. As part of her gift, I embellished a paper mache letter "B" to match her registry theme ~ airplanes.
.
I've made several of these letters over the years. They are so simple to do and always a hit. I thought I'd include a quick little how-to:

I put the letter face down on the back of the paper and trace around it with a pencil. I usually trace the letter, and then paint the back and sides of my letter form (with acrylic paint), and then cut the paper letter out while I wait for the the paint to dry.

Next, I glue the paper to the front of the letter form with a basic glue stick. Let it dry for about an hour then sand the edges of the paper letter with an emery board (or sandpaper) to make it look a little worn.


I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of my late mother-in-law's craft supplies. The airplane buttons are from her stash; so these belonged to Baby Brennan's Great-Grandma PJ. (I ended up not using the yellow jet because it was just 'too much'...)

The buttons I chose had knobs on the back of them, so my hubby drilled some holes for me. I put some glue on the base of the button and then popped it into the snug hole.


Quick.
Easy.
Thrifty.
Fun.

There's a baby boy coming to our family!

~:o}

11 comments:

Rhona said...

What a lovely gift idea, I'm sure it'll look great in baby's room! Thanks for the quick tutorial too!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

How sweet is that! Congratulations on the new arrival!
Best,
Stephanie

Lizzie said...

That is such a lovely idea! I could adapt it for my niece's new baby girl, due any day now!

Thank you for sharing.

Baby Brennan has a lovely auntie!

Ruth said...

The link through the generations is brilliant ... and I do hope that he doesn't turn out to be a she!

Sian said...

I love the thought of the buttons belonging to his great-grandma. It's such a lovely gift..that blue is a gorgeous shade. I love it.

Maria Ontiveros said...

That is really special! I love the airplane motif, and thanks for the step-by-step. I haven't attempted one of those yet, but I do have an idea percolating in my head!
Thanks for the inspiration,
Rinda

Mom said...

So that's how you do it! Love this one as much as I love all the others you've made for the family! Have a good Sunday, Sweetie! xo

humel said...

Such a lovely project - thanks for the how-to x

MarleneMAZ said...

Thanks for another quick tutorial,
your "B" turned out great.

The Norman Clan said...

So, cute! I did not know she was expecting. How exciting for you all!
Love it. :-)

traci said...

adorable. what a great gift.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...