Thursday, January 7, 2016

Introducing Prayer Mandalas

The color green, for Lynn.
At the end of last year, I donated a 12" x 12" mandala art canvas to The Center for Living Well for their year end fundraiser. I was so touched when the studio's director, Dawn, contacted me to ask if I'd be willing to create a similar piece of art, in the color green, for her friend Lynn.

As I began to create this mandala for Lynn, I wondered about her. Was there anything in particular that she needed at the time? A special thought or prayer I could hold for her as her mandala manifested?

I can only imagine the beautiful soul that Lynn must be to hold such a big space in Dawn's heart. And since I didn't know Lynn personally, I decided to focus on the color green as I created. I just allowed myself to believe that the intentions I held while building this canvas would be absolutely perfect and exactly what Lynn needed at the time

I loved working on this mandala art for Dawn to gift to Lynn. I have a strong attachment to the color green. My May birthstone is emerald, and I associate the color green with nature which feeds my soul like nothing else. Green represents new growth, vitality and wealth/abundance. I also focused on the heart chakra, breathing into that center and visualizing infinite love for Lynn. I prayed that she would feel the depths of her friendship with Dawn when she gazes at her mandala, and that she would find a little peace in it as I do when I am with nature.

Dawn was so happy with the green mandala I created for Lynn, that she ordered another canvas for her friend Ann.

You can see a photo of Ann's canvas with last Friday's quote by clicking here. It's hard to tell by that photo, but there's a lot of teal used as the base color, as Ann is an ovarian cancer survivor. Twice! Those of you who know my mom's history will immediately get that connection for me. So much of my heart and soul and a bit of my mom's spirit went into the mandala for Ann. The difference with the second mandala was that I knew more about Ann and was able to be specific in my prayers for her as I created. I held space for her for continued strength and grace, and I meditated on the three higher chakras as those were the colors I used.



2016 holds a lot of new opportunities for me. One of those opportunities is being able to leave my corporate job and pursue living my dream of teaching yoga. I also have plans to work in hospice care, plus I want to create and share my art. As part of my quest to let my light shine, I have created a listing in my Etsy shop for custom prayer mandalas. You can check it out by clicking here.

I'd be so grateful if you would say a little prayer for me; if you could hold positive thoughts and believe with me that I am heading in the right direction.

A fresh start. Vitality and new growth.
I find it easy being green.
:o)

11 comments:

alexa said...

Such very beautiful creations - I am reminded of the process of making icons ... Wishing you lots of green in your life as you ease your way into something new, which will let y ou give more of yourself to the world. Sending warmest thoughts for your well being.

helena said...

exciting plans and sending warm thoughts for your success in following them.

debs14 said...

Absolutely beautiful. Time to give up the day job!

Audrey said...

Oh my goodness, this is beyond wonderful news!!! I fell in love with that green mandala when you posted it on IG ~ it's obvious that a lot of love went into it. It's really quite magnificent and beautiful. Hospice care ~ WOW, Deb. What incredibly important and meaningful work. I know you don't love reading but Atul Gawande's book "Being Mortal" is such an important book ~ he speaks quite a bit about hospice care, it's importance and how people misunderstand exactly what it is. Okay, I'm heading over to check out your Etsy listing!!!
HUGE HUGS! ~ Audrey

Maria Ontiveros said...

This feels so right!

Patio Postcards said...

Beautiful - I really like green, it is such a powerful colour & while not my birthstone, emeralds are my favourite. I like how you were SO thoughtful about the person the mandala was for, focusing our bringing positivity to your work for it be reflected back to the receiver. A gift beyond any purchase.
The Friday work of art was magnificent. Your light shines forward with no shadow on your steps forward into a new path. What a blessing you are receiving & giving with this career change ...

Karen said...

Huge changes, and such wonderful ones. I'm sure you'll be looking back on 2016 with great pride and fondness. Those mandalas are gorgeous!

Connie said...

Your mandala art is beautiful. Whomever is the recipient of such beauty is automatically blessed. The wonderful idea of prayer built into the art - perfection. Keep these ideas and thoughts in the forefront of your mind and the universe will deliver your dreams! I'm so very proud of all you are becoming!

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb you have really found yourself. You have such an amazing talent for creating these pieces of art and each one glows with the love you invest in it.

Beverly said...

So beautiful and sacred!!! There are custom pieces that I make that I pray over as I make them and it is so powerful for me. You are such a blessing to our world. I am so excited for 2016 for you and your journey is in my prayers, friend <3

Becky said...

How beautiful. And I wish you all the luck in the world as you move forwards with your new plans. Xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...