Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A quilt for my niece

I have been wanting to try my hand at sewing triangles for the longest time, and was inspired by a quilt I saw on Pinterest last year. I loved the herringbone pattern as opposed to the more common chevron designs, so I pinned it and then started the process. I bought the fabric, cut all the squares, cut them into triangles, sewed half of the rows, and then set it aside. Once I'd started my yoga teacher training last summer the whole quilt making gig was moved to the back burner for a while.



This quilt is for my niece, Britny, and I knew we'd be seeing her when Carrie and I traveled to California last week. I really wanted to give her the quilt in person, so after Christmas I got back to it with sheer determination to finish it before our trip.


Oh my gosh I loved making this quilt for Britny! I loved thinking of her as I sewed, remembering what a sweet little girl she had been, and feeling so proud of the amazing young woman she's grown into. All those gray and white triangles came together nicely in a true labor of love.



It was so cool to give the quilt to Britny in person last week. She stayed in our hotel room with Carrie and me for the first two nights of our California trip, so I actually got to spend a couple of days seeing her wrapped in her quilt. It was so awesome to see it finished, off of my sewing table, and wrapped around the sweet girl it was meant for.

Next quilting project?
Well, I have a friendship quilt to assemble...

10 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Wow! Some pretty perfect point matching going on here. How lovely to see the recipient wrapped up in her beautiful quilt. Very much looking forward to seeing your Friendship Quilt assembled.

Ruth said...

How lovely to see the quilt with the recipient! I'm looking forward to seeing your Friendship Quilt (and quietly hoping that the one I sent you has made the final cut, so to speak!)

scrappyjacky said...

Your precision is amazing....I could never make anything so perfectly....it's stunning,Deb.

Lady Ella said...

Lovely work. I'd be overwhelmed if I ever received something like that. Was going to ask after the friendship quilt but I've been pipped to the post..!

Christina Lane said...

I especially love the detail on the binding. :)

Sian said...

It's beautiful! I'd love it even if it weren't yellow and grey. But I do so love yellow and grey :)

Karen said...

Like Sian, I love the color combination. And the quilt design? Fabulous!

Beverly said...

Wow, your skill is amazing! It's beautiful and I am sure Britny will treasure it always! Can't wait to see what you do with the Friendship Quilt since you have additional squares :)

Helen Philipps said...

This is such a lovely quilt, Deb, and wonderful to see your niece enjoying it! Such a special quilt to treasure!
Helen xox

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous and what great colours you chose. That must have been fun matching all those points.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...