Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014's One Little Word, and 2015's Choice



Here's the thing about me: I'm not a fan of trends and doing stuff just because everyone else does. Case in point? Choosing one little word to focus on for the upcoming year.

I've done it before - for a few years in a row. Carrie has encouraged it, questioned it, even made suggestions for words she thought would fit. And last year I did choose a word, but I quickly eased it to the outer corners of my heart and mind and figured I could pretty much ignore it for the remainder of the year.

The word I chose was "trust" and I had a little plan that I would keep it alive by using my "Just a Quote for Friday" series as a way to pull it back into focus - at least once a month. Yeah. That happened in January and February. The end.

I didn't make an obvious sign to post somewhere to remind me of my word. TRUST. Hmph. I can remember that. Why make a big production of it? Everybody else was doing it, but I shied away from the hype.

Oh, but something happened. Over the course of 2014 I made a conscious decision to let go of attachments to outcome. I mustered up a deep sense of trust - knowing that outcomes would materialize for me in the best of ways, and all that was really required of me was to do my best and trust the process. Trust that things would work out the way they are supposed to. Trust that if things didn't work out the way I wanted them to, I would still be able to deal with the outcomes. I'm resilient and capable that way.

So without posting notes to myself reminding me about my one little word in 2014, I accidentally kept it alive simply by choosing it in the first place. I love what the word "trust" did for me last year. There are some exciting things planned for 2015 and I'd love to repeat 2014's word all over again this year, but that would be redundant. I'm practiced in the art of TRUST now, and that will continue to be with me as we move through the upcoming new year.

Based on the results of my borderline rebellious word choosing last year, I've gone ahead and chosen one for the upcoming year as well: permission. I give myself permission to choose a word and not make a big deal about it. {wink} I give myself permission to move forward on some things that have been dreams for so long.

I give myself permission, in 2015.
How about you? One little word for the new year?

11 comments:

alexa said...

I'm moved by your writing and your discovery that, despite not being conscious of it, your word quietly blossomed in your life. What power the process can have ... And looking forward to how hearing how 'permission' flows through your life - yours plans already sound rich and full :).

Karen said...

Redundant or not, I'm holding onto my 2014 word for next year; I'm simply not done with it yet. Love the process you've been through, and your word for 2015 seems just right.

debs14 said...

I think that's a great word for the next 12 months. Too often we don't give ourselves permission to do things we either want to do, or ought to do.
Have a great 2015!

Sian said...

"Permission" sounds like an excellent word and I'm wishing you all the very best with its use in 2015. Happy New Year!

humel said...

I'm here because my word is 'reconnect' - I'm already feeling the benefit :) Happy New Year, dear friend! x

Cheri said...

Just had a "catch up" on your blog. Congrats on finishing YTT - I'm sure you'll be a fantastic instructor! And isn't it funny how the mere act of choosing a word, even if you don't actively play with it, can really change your year? I've been choosing words for about seven years now - my word for 2015 is "thrive" and I'm excited to see how it manifests. Happy New Year Deb!

cedarmerefarm said...

Hi Jen, coincidentally "permission" is the concept I chose for me for 2015 also (although I am not thoughtful enough to actually come up with the word "permission" itself). "Permission" is the perfect word for some (or maybe most) of us women. I often felt badly when I took time away from doing something for my family to do something for myself. For 2015, I am determined to spend more time on me and do what I enjoy without feeling guilty. I think it will be good for me, which in turn will be good for my family too. Happy New Year Jen. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Maxabella said...

I definitely think a guiding word gets under your skin and leads the way. I choose a word every year and it sits with me - I don't actively 'do' anything special to keep it alive. But every year, there it is, helping me make the differences I crave. I think 'permission' is an excellent word, Jen, especially as we mothers spend our lives giving it or taking it away from others, but rarely give ourselves the same boundaries or courtesy. x

Maria Ontiveros said...

I think it's a great word - a gentle word that seems to fit well with your yoga career. I like buying jewelry to commemorate my word; well, I like buying jewelry period. So it's an easy jump to get OLW jewelry - LOL!
And I usually make an art piece. I'm glad you liked my mandala. I wasn't sure I had done it right.
Rinda

Barbara Eads said...

I did the "one little word" thing for a couple of years. It was fun, but I just don't want to do it any more. I'm giving myself "permission" to quit!! Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great word for the year. I'm like you in that I don't make anything to remind me of my word, which btw is health. I'm late in saying it but wishing you a very Happy New Year and congrats on completing your Yoga teachers course.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...