Thursday, September 12, 2013

Doug's Elk Photos

I have been after Doug for the longest time to take his camera camping/hunting with him. I'll admit that my motives have been a little bit selfish, but ultimately for the benefit of my our Project Life album. I want to be able to include photos of his trips, and document the time that he spends outdoors and with his brothers.

So, today I'm sharing some photos that Doug took last weekend, along with a video{!!!} and I am in no way taking credit for the fact that he actually had his camera with him on this trip {just sayin'}. What I am saying is that I'm super proud of him for thinking to take these photos, and really happy that he agreed to let me share them on my blog.
***
Here's how this goes down {from what I'm told}: You drive your truck on a remote forest service road for quite a while, then you park and unload your quad. On the quad you ride on an even more remote forest service road/path for a quite a while, then you park your quad and hike. You hike down a very steep side of a mountain, calculating every single step in order to get to this water hole that you know is down there. Then, assuming you are a hunter with a deer tag, you sit there, oh...pretty much all day... waiting for the right animal to come in so you can kill it, then you think you'll drag it back up that same steep mountain that your wife would be absolutely freaked out about.

All that to say that's how Doug got to this:


I can just see Doug sitting next to this water hole, eating his trail mix and probably the last of the zucchini bread I sent with him, when all of a sudden this elk moseys on in to this water hole. It just makes me happy to know how happy that made him!


Really cool, right? But wait, there's a little bit more. Check out this video of the elk splashing in the mud:


 
Nature is just so awesome.
I love that Doug got to experience this, and
I love that he captured it so we could see too.
{Thanks, Douglas! }

PS: No, Doug didn't shoot this elk. It's deer season. :o)

17 comments:

Karen said...

That last photo of the elk on the ridge is simply stunning! Thanks to Doug for sharing!

debs14 said...

Amazing photos. All the time I was reading though, I kept saying to myself,"don't shoot, don't shoot"!

Unknown said...

Douglas is an awesome photographer! Who knew?! You need to get him a DSLR! :) Glad this guy isn't hanging on your wall.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a magnificent creature! The elk (and Doug, too). Agree with Karen that the last photograph is just majestic!
And I can't imagine dragging that elk back up the mountain. Your description today was (almsot) as good as Doug's photography.
Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

Ruth said...

I'm so glad you included that PS! I was reading the post, all the while thinking, "please don't let Doug have shot it!"

Sinead said...

Wow these are just stunning photos! I also love that last image in particular, the composition and everything is perfect :D

Susi said...

Lovely photos! Thank you both for sharing.

Beverly said...

Please tell Doug how much I loved these. I'm so glad it wasn't elk season because I am assuming there would have been a gun or bow in his hand rather than a camera.

Amy said...

Great shots Doug!

Ha! Pun intended! ;)

Robyn said...

Beautiful!! I LOVED it!!

Thanks Doug!!

Miriam said...

Fabulous look at nature, love the video so much. Thanks Doug.

Abi said...

Wow that last photo is stunning! I'm glad he didn't shoot it too!

Becky said...

Great photos and I am glad that he didn't shoot it too!

Audrey said...

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!!!!! Wow. So magical. I can't imagine being there and seeing the elk in person. What a burden it must be to carry around those heavy antlers. I love how he used them to splash the water on his face. Really, so cool. Thank you, Doug!!!

Cheri said...

Doug got some great shots here and I really appreciate that we got to share in what he views on his trips. And SO happy it wasn't elk season!

alexa said...

Beautiful photos and I am so glad it lived and you have something of his interests in your scrapbooking life too. :).

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures & video Doug. I'm sorry to say, but I'm glad it wasn't elk season.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...