Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Don't Try This at Home

I've had a box of butterscotch pudding mix in our pantry for a while now, and after making my mom's chocolate pudding cake a couple of months ago, I thought I'd use that same concept in a different flavor. Doug and I both love butterscotch, so I was excited to give this a try. I just knew it was going to be yummy!
 

I used pecans and toffee bits for the tops.


And the house smelled amazing while they were baking.

 
Don't they look like something you'd bake in the fall? Like pumpkin muffins...
I can't wait till October!!!
 
 
The result was a real disappointment, and I ended up throwing them all in the garbage. Ugh - killed me to have to do that. Doug and I each had one and agreed that they weren't as yummy as I had hoped. The butterscotch was lost in the yellow cake mix I used, and the toffee bits were not a good addition to the cakes.
 
Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Have you ever made up your own recipe?
Did you have better luck than me?

15 comments:

Beverly said...

I can't imagine toffee bits being a bad addition lol Can't remember if it's Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker bur one of them has a caramel cake mix.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I hate it when a recipe doesn't work out. But I rarely make up baked goods from my own recipe. Usually, I will change an existing one and modify it to my taste. But the exceptions - my yummy white cake, and my Neapolitan cake - are probably my two favorite and most requested.

Cheri said...

Sorry it was such a disappointment. Maybe a white cake mix would have worked better?

scrappyjacky said...

What a shame,Deb....and they look so good as well.

tainted with a positive view said...

They do look amazing, though.

Audrey said...

I am definitely not brave enough to create my own recipe!!!! I'm sorry your little cakes didn't turn out because they look amazing. Oh, I can't wait until Fall....I am a SUCKER for anything with pumpkin flavor. Yum yum.

Becky said...

They look really nice. - shame they were not too tasty. Our biggest disaster has to have been Hugh's cheese batter for toad in the hole (sauaage in batter pudding nix) which tasted like mown grass!

Amy said...

Geez, they must have been bad if you chucked them ... my barometer on badness is if the kids won't eat it ... well, that's only for sweet things!

Groovy new header Deb - have you been tinkering?

PCovi said...

Well they sure look convincing and sound it, too...maybe your tastebuds weren't well that day or you had just swished some SCOPE in your mouths?
haha!
I have had SO many mistakes in the kitchen I can't narrow it down to just one to tell :D

Maria Ontiveros said...

You should have taken them to the office (everything seems to disappear from the office kitchen in my experience), but maybe you have a reputation to uphold. LOL!
Somehow this makes me think about your donut maker; not sure why.
Rinda

Barbara Eads said...

I'm impressed that you tried it out in the first place. Not only is it a disappointment when things don't work out, it's expensive too! Better luck next time.

Susi said...

What a bummer! They look so tasty. I'm going to have to try the chocolate version soon!

alexa said...

Oh no, what a shame! The ingredients all sounded delicious too :(. Ouch, with the throwing out. Painful. Bird food?

Michellefinaz said...

Now I'm going to make something pumpkin

Susanne said...

Well, at least you spared yourself some calories. Today I tried some cinnamon flavored microwave popcorn. It made the kitchen smell terrific, but it didn't really taste that good. And then after eating a bit and tossing the rest, the cinnamon smell in the house was almost too sickening sweet. So it ended up being a double whammy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...