Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Joy of Sharing My Garden with a Dog

 
Our Lucky dog is a bit of a digger. He's kind of hit and miss with it though, and hasn't done too much damage on his own. However, when our grand-dog, Marcus, comes to visit, the two of them really go at it. Carrie says Marcus doesn't dig at home, and we're pretty sure that Lucky is the bad influence. In fact, this one may have been Lucky, all by himself, showing off for his backyard guest:
 
 
We had Monday off for Memorial Day, so I spent some time putting my garden back together and adding some marigolds to keep other pests away {something is eating my basil}.
 
 



This little garden space cleans up nicely. Oh, and I finally decided on a phrase to paint on the little piece of board I've been pondering for a while now...

 
That, plus this repellent stuff sprinkled on the dirt...we'll see if this makes a difference.
 

~sigh~
Anyone have any tips to keep a dog from digging?

11 comments:

Miriam said...

Hello Deb, at last I am able to leave a comment for you!
I love this little look into your garden. Sorry no tips for the digging dog, I would have gone with a notice too.
While I am able to comment ( I hope) I wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your baby shower for Cate. What a lovely thoughtful lady you are. I am sure that Cate will be absolutely thrilled and feel so loved when she receives such a fabulous gift.

Irene said...

Deb, you are so funny. Now all you have to do is teach Lucky how to read. LOL

Abi said...

This made me laugh! That sign is so cute.

Lisa-Jane said...

Perfect decision on the sign! I hope he takes heed.

alexa said...

Brilliant sign! Hoping he can read! Perhaps lots of gnomes and turtles covering the soil might put him off? You have made a lovely job of making it look pretty again ...

Beverly said...

Love the sign, unfortunately I have no pointers :/

Amy said...

We tried chilli and tabasco sauce, on the recommendation of the vet, and neither worked ... she seemed to like it! Apart from a very high fence we found nothing worked and sort of gave up a bit ... with the edibles that is. Our girl had her favourite spot in the sun which was slap bang in the middle of a small flowering plant, how that was remotely comfortable I will never know??
In the end, she seemed to want to dig in the same place so we sort of gave it over to her ... well, we didn't plant things we WANTED to keep there.

Anonymous said...

Sorry no helpful hints from me. Love your sign though x

debs14 said...

Coco isn't so much a digger as a 'walker over'. You let her in the garden and she heads straight for the pergola in the corner then walks along every flower border. So trampled plants are our problem! The only place she avoids are prickly leafed ones,
I had heard that if you scatter rose bush cuttings on the ground it helps but I would worry about them getting thorns in their paws.

Margaret said...

The garden is looking good. If your dog manages to read that sign I will be very impressed.

Anonymous said...

I've heard cayenne pepper is good but our's wasn't a digger so I don't know for sure. Love the sign! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...