Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Team Teal Tuesday ~ The Strawberry Project

Hello, friends!

By the time this post is published, Carrie and I will be in the middle of our vacation trip in England. I wanted to have this post go live while we are there, and also to honor Team Teal on this Tuesday. Here's the story of our strawberry project.


I've mentioned before that part of the reason Carrie and I are able to travel to England this spring is because of the gift my mom left for us. Mom loved to travel, and she wanted my siblings and me to use her life insurance money to take a trip somewhere.


In the months before Mom's passing we talked about it, and she was thrilled to know that Carrie and I had plans to travel to England. She was even more happy to know that we would be meeting some members of Team Teal who had supported her so lovingly during her battle with ovarian cancer. I had specific instructions to give each Team Teal member that we met an extra hug on Mom's behalf.


When we really got down to the business of planning our trip, Carrie had an idea to take something that had belonged to Grandma Marti and leave little bits here and there along our journey. I had made some small stuffed strawberries years ago for my mom, and I looked for them while I was there in January helping sort through her things but couldn't find them. What my sister and I did find were some red cloth napkins that my mom had made herself, so I decided I'd bring those home with me and make some more strawberries to take with us.


Oh, friends, it was really tough taking that first cut into my mom's red napkin! It started when I unfolded it and spread it out on my craft table. I was struck by the thought that the last time it was folded it had been done with my mother's hand, and then, there I sat, scissors in hand, ready to cut it apart. I had to take a moment. I had a good cry, thought about how pleased Mom would be with our plan, and quickly took the first cut.


These little berries will be left along our journey in special places that we know my mom would love. I feel happy thinking of the person who will randomly find these little pieces of my mom, and I hope it brightens their day. {I also hope we don't get arrested for littering strawberries along the way!} Of course we'll take photos, and I'll have a blog post all about that when we return from our trip.

To read more about The Strawberry Project and to see where Carrie and I left them, click here.

21 comments:

Jimjams said...

I can't wait to see where they end up ... I'm sure they'll bring a little ray of sunshine into people's lives!
Have a great trip!

Ruth said...

Deb, I read this post hearing your voice! And I shall treasure my strawberry.
See you soon! Again! How cool is it to write that?? xx

Cheri said...

sort of like carving "we were here" into various trees and sign-posts, but without the destruction!

scrappyjacky said...

I'll treasure mine as well,Deb....I have it hanging in my bedroom.
Did you leave one when you visited Strawberry Fields?

Alison said...

I have a confession.....I lost my strawberry when I left the restaurant (Sunday was a bad day for losing things!)...but guess what?!- Becky had found it and she's posting it on to me ....YAY!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

You are not supposed to make me cry whilst I am eating lunch at work! Love this post and especially love my strawberry. I keep it in my dining room, opposite where I craft so I see it each time I glance up. It was wonderful meeting you and Carrie and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay and have a safe journey home xxx

Kirsti said...

Wow what a fab way to honour your mum!! Hope you have a great trip to Engand and sad you're not visiting me in Scotland...
Love
Kirsti xxx

Robyn said...

Love this, Deb. :)

debs14 said...

As you know, penguin is guarding my strawberry in the dining room! Such a sweet gesture, thank you so much x

Rhona said...

I love my little strawberry and it's hanging in my kitchen at the moment until I decide on where it'll live. Enjoy the rest of this week and looking forward to seeing you and Carrie on Friday :) xx

Becky said...

So lovely to read this post having heard you tell us the story about the strawberries on Sunday. I could definitely hear your voice when I read this! I posted Alison's strawberry off to her today - pity I didn't find her glasses too! Enjoy the rest of your trip :)

Karen said...

What a wonderful way to honor your mom's memory! I've really been enjoying the posts about your blogger's luncheon, and can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Sian said...

What an absolutely lovely idea this is. I've been reading and enjoying the posts about the meet ups and they have put a big smile on my face even though I wasn't there..wish I had been!

alexa said...

Such a lovely idea and how lovely to leave them in different places ... and to give joy to someone else :). I've seen lots of happy photos of your trip and how it was just wonderful for you both ... (and I so understand about remembering the last time something was touched, it was touched by one's Mum).

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I love that you're doing this! Awesome!!!!

Irene said...

What a sweet way to remember your mom. Enjoy your trip and safe travels home.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I absolutely adore this post and your project (and, heck, your whole family). Such a lovely, bittersweet project. I love imaging marti's spirit all over London and Liverpool and Paris.
Rinda

Margaret said...

That is so beautiful. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

Such a lovely idea. I've enjoyed seeing all the photos and posts about your meetings with other bloggers. Look forward to hearing your own stories when you return home xx

Lizzie said...

Aww.. I had a bit of a sniff too, when I read about you cutting up the napkin.
But, what a great idea, to make something special and leave it in places Marti would love to be. She can be there in spirit, along with you - and spread some smiles when you have moved on.
Did you put your blog addresses on the tag too?

I hope you have had a lovely holiday in the UK and that Home is all the more special because of your time away.
How special, that you have been meeting up with people from Team Teal and remembering Marti as you travel. She must be so pleased!

Beverly said...

I can imagine how hard that first cut was and the tears it brought but I can also imagine Marti beaming at Carrie's idea and your carry through. I used to leave little things to be found in public places, this has made me remember and inspired me to start again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...