Monday, January 21, 2013

My Weekend at Mom's House


Hello, friends.

This past weekend I traveled to California to spend the weekend with my family.

When my mom left, back at the beginning of October, I told my family that I'd be back at the end of January to help sort through her things. I'm so glad we put that on the calendar, because it's one of those things I may have put off for quite some time had it not been scheduled.


Arriving at my mom's house and going through her front door was the hardest part. My sister is such a nice balance for me. I was really emotional, but Valerie was strong and had such a great attitude about the whole process. She was excited to see what we'd find, and after I got over the initial sad part, we ended up having a fun time finding treasures, texting photos to our brothers/SILs/nieces, and reminiscing about our sweet mother.


Mom had enough treasures to go around, and we all ended up with a little bit of something, including a strawberry from her kitchen collection.


In the end, the weekend turned out to be a much happier time than I had anticipated. Though very bittersweet, it feels like some closure has taken place, and we felt good about helping our dear step-dad {Rod} in the process.

I'm feeling very behind on blog reading and email correspondence, so I'll be catching up this week. My mind is a jumble of things-to-do, places-to-go...

Wishing all who read this lots of blessings this week!

12 comments:

Sian said...

That strawberry collection is so lovely. It's easy to see the love and care that went into putting it together and I'm getting the feeling that you found lots of little piles of love all around the house..

Karen said...

I was so young when my mother died, I never appreciated the acts of closure. Now, like you, I know that some of the most difficult tasks do help you move on to a new phase of grief. Not that the grief ever goes away. You continue to be in my prayers--as you know.

scrappyjacky said...

I'm sure doing this does help with closure,Deb....and also did bring back a lot of happy memories.

Irene said...

Its funny how the littlest of treasures brings us fond memories of our loved one. Keeping you in my prayers.

Cheri said...

Glad it worked out for you Deb. Drop me a note and let me know if the promise was kept.

Beverly said...

I am so glad this turned into a nice thing rather a very, very sad time. I know Rod is very grateful. I thought of you several times over the weekend and lifted a comforting prayer {{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it takes being brave to help get to where you want to be and I think you have started on the path to closure. Love the strawberries too.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful strawberry collection. I'm so glad your sister was there with you.
Hugs.

Alison said...

So glad that your sister was able to help you take these first steps..you've been in my thoughts this weekend!
Alison xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a wonderful post. It has taken us forever to sort through everything in my folks' house. Luckily, my brother still lives there.
Enjoy the treasures you find and take away with you; they will keep your mom alive in your heart.
Rinda

Margaret said...

I'm glad you got to do that. I think it was important.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It is such a hard thing, but it sounds like you did great. Thinking of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...