Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Team Teal Tuesday ~ Bread and Aprons

This Thanksgiving was tough without my mom.
Today I'd like to share a couple of things
that we did to honor her throughout the day.

My 16-year old nephew was particularly concerned about bread for the day. His Grandma Marti made yeast rolls for every holiday dinner, and it turns out that was always his favorite part of the meal. I had made them once before, and I had seen my mom make them soooo many times, so I asked if he'd like to give the recipe a try.

My mom would have been so proud of us, working together to make her bread recipe. And I'm happy to report that Tyler did such a great job with the rolls! He'll definitely do it again, and I'm hoping he'll become the next family bread maker.


On Friday morning I uploaded my photos and this shot of Tyler's hands, kneading dough while wearing a teal band on his wrist, brought forth tears I had been able to hold back the day before. I felt so proud of him in that moment, and so honored to have had that time with him. I'll never forget it.


Part two of how we remembered my mom:
A few years ago, before Mom got sick, she made us all aprons for Christmas. I never fully appreciated that feat until I saw us all lined up on Thanksgiving day, each of us in aprons she had made that year. I love that she took Tyler's apron to have "Chef Tyler" embroidered on the front.

Tyler, Savannah, Liz, Ryann, Valerie, Britny,
Carrie, me, and Presley.

So, we survived our first Thanksgiving without Mom, but as you can see,
her love is still so tightly wrapped around us. I'm pretty sure that we have
just set some new traditions in place: making Mom's bread recipe while
wearing aprons she made is something we will definitely do again.

14 comments:

Lisa-Jane said...

Isn't it amazing how someone passing on can bring about a lot of new traditions and ideas and love and memories? Its like they are saying "Go on, have fun. I don't need to hold your hand any more but I'm still here." I think that truly amazing people in life, really show their worth in how much they can keep giving once they are gone xx

Beverly said...

I love that Tyler learned to make the rolls, they look so good. I also love that Marti made him an apron, many grandmoms would have done something else for the boy in the family. She will forever live on in your gatherings.

scrappyjacky said...

What a wonderful tradition to keep Marti's memory alive...and it looks like Tyler did a great job with the rolls.

Susan said...

Love this post! Sending you hugs and love, my friend!

debs14 said...

Beautiful post, and what a beautiful way to honour Marti's memory. Make sure you turn this into a scrapbook page as a lasting memory.

Amy said...

I love that a new tradition has started that brings your family closer together despite your very sad loss this year.

Paper Turtle is looking very sleek today!

Alison said...

Great new trditions to have started Deb....it's no wonder you felt your mom's love all day!
Alison xx

Alison said...

Great new trditions to have started Deb....it's no wonder you felt your mom's love all day!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and I am sure your mum was looking down with a smile on her face x

Margaret said...

Well, this is a beautiful post. I'm glad you were able to remember your mom in these meaningful ways.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

That is so amazing! (and yes, that bread looks delicious) I'm sure she was smiling down on you all! Sending you love and hugs!

Lady J said...

I so glad you were surrounded by your loved ones during your thanksgiving. We felt like our Grandma was with us...she left a huge hole in our hearts and miss her dearly.
The aprons are wonderful and made even more special with your memories.
Thinking of you, my Internet friend. Blessings to you and your family.
-Jessica

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the aprons! My brother's godfather (and one of my parents' best friends - one of the few surviving members of that generation) made us all aprons a couple of Christmases ago, and I treasure mine.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Some wonderful new traditions. That was great that Tyler was able to make the rolls. Looks like his Grandma knew that he'd be needing an apron.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...