Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Looking out my backdoor...

Happy mid-week, friends.

It's been a few weeks since I've done a garden update, and I'm sure there are a few of you wondering how things are growing. Come on out to our backyard and have a look...


I just love this time of year in Arizona - and these flowers do too.


I've been checking on my peppers and was totally surprised the other day when I found that they are turning red! What the...? I've never known a red jalapeno before...


I wonder if this means they are going to be super hot. Anyone a pepper expert?


I have had this turtle planter for years and it's seen its share of plants come and go. Right now he's sporting a healthy bunch of ice plant.


Remember my awesome sunflower crop this year? Here's what's left of them. I need to pull out a few more seeds to save for next years crop, then I'll let the birds finish what they've started.


I'm so happy to have all this awesome color in our backyard to brighten up the space for next week's Thanksgiving dinner that will be served on our patio. We do have a Plan B just in case Mother Nature has other ideas, but I'm counting on sunshine.

Anything growing on your piece of the planet?

13 comments:

helena said...

my roses and sweatpeas are still blooming - msut go and take photos

Cheri said...

everything is in the process of dying/hibernating on my piece of the planet!

Ginger said...

The ground is covered in a foot of snow! The only thing growing are the amount of rabbits and squirrels searching for food :)

We buy red and green jalapenos all the time, but I don't really notice a difference in heat :)

Fingers crossed you have lovely weather for Thanksgiving!

Irene said...

Nothing growing but weeds in my yard. That is the cutest turtle planter and I love your picture of those dried sunflowers. Have a bountiful Thanksgiving.

Karen said...

Sarah and Caleb left this morning and I'm starting my blog catch-ups. So much to say about the last few of yours: Love the photo on Friday's quote; the turkeys are adorable (the leaves were perfect!); the shawl is beautiful (Sarah and Adam received similar ones when the twins died) and I know Judi will treasure it as much as you and your mom did.

Anonymous said...

Only thing growing in my garden is grass! Not big on gardening in this house.

alexa said...

I love your turtle themed items! Over here, I've only ever seen red jalapeno peppers, so perhaps they are just ripening nicely?

Amy said...

All I know is that the smaller they are they hotter they are ... usually tiny red ones are killers!

Susan Campisi said...

I came over from Margaret's blog. Curiosity got the best of me after reading you'd been granted a beer goddess. I've been all choked up reading your older posts, catching up on your story. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. She was beautiful, with those sparkly blue-grey eyes. Your posts are all so touching. Love your blog. (I've visited before but it's been a while.)

humel said...

I love your garden updates :) Nothing much grows in ours, sadly - neither of us is a natural gardener!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love your peppers. We only have stragglers in the garden right now; haven't had a chance to get out there.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Our garden is all shut down for the season and the last leaves have finally fallen. It's looking pretty depressing out there right now so I was happy to see your nice colourful photos of your garden.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We used to live in Brawley, CA - west of Yuma (you probably know that already). We moved there in 1979 - from Kansas (where it had been-30 and 4 feet of snow the winter before) and we loved the "winter weather" - we ate Thanksgiving dinner outdoors and picked roses for the table.

Now we live in the Pacific Northwest and don't really miss the summers of the desert - we have the most delightful, perfect summers here - but sometimes on cold, rainy winter days I think of the flowers and the warm weather in the winter in the desert - thanks for the photos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...