Saturday, March 3, 2012

Piñatas and other plans

If this is supposed to be a surprise for my Mom's upcoming birthday party, I'm about to blow it.
{SURPRISE, Mom!}


My mom's birthday is coming up at the end of April and we're throwing a fiesta themed party for her. When my sister and I started talking about it I had the bright idea to make small piñatas for the table centerpieces. I had seen the idea {here} and had been itching to make one {or eight} myself.


I tried drawing the shape myself and instead of a donkey it looked like a dog, so I found a piece of clip art that I enlarged and used as a template. When Doug came home I asked him what he thought the shape looked like - a loaded question and he hesitated before answering, "Um...a pony?" Close enough!


I used a cereal box for the form, and once I had it put together I used some spray paint to make the base a neutral color. I used some crepe paper streamers, folded in half and fringed, then glued from the bottom up. I had plans to photograph the finished piñata with something to show the scale of his size...but I'm off and running this morning and wanted to get this post published. He's about 8" tall and I figure he'll hold at least one bag of Hershey's kisses. {His underside is still open and that's where I'll load the candy before taping it shut and covering it with more crepe paper.}

But wait...there's more...


There's not just one table, and in the beginning I was thinking there would be 6 or 8 tables needing centerpieces so I've already started a few more. Latest news is that there will be 15 tables {which doesn't sound right so we have to confirm...} and if that is the case, some of the tables will not have piñatas on them. These guys aren't difficult to make, but have proven to be fairly time consuming. I texted Carrie with: "Turns out that my plans to be a professional piñata maker are not feasible."

The balloons are covered with newspaper strips dipped in a flour and water solution. Squint your eyes...do you see a strawberry, bird, and hot-air balloon? Yes? Maybe?



I do kind of like this little guy though, and can see that something like this would make a cute baby shower or little kid's birthday party gift some day. Unless I completely burn out on piñata making between now and then.
~sigh~
Me and my crazy ideas.
Happy weekend, everyone!
Skip To My Lou

13 comments:

Valerie said...

Cutest thing EVER!!! So not fair that you got 100% of the creative genes! But I am thankful that you did! Love you!

Valerie said...

I just showed the picture to Pres and she said--"who is that for?" and I told her for grandma's party and she said--"Awww, I was hoping it was for ME"--ha

Catherine said...

What a lucky Mama you have. Sounds and look like a lovely party.
Catherine

Mom said...

How did I get so blessed? This little guy is beyond cute and I love the idea, you for making it (them) and Valerie for all the planning! I totally agree with Catherine--I am one lucky Mama! Love you! xoxo

Alison said...

That donkey is super cute..
Alison xx

Karen said...

Another fabulous job, Deb! (I'm fooling around with ways to comment now. I had to redo my Google account, and that seems to be the problem, not Typepad.)

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria Ontiveros said...

They're adorable! Will you be mad if I say I think the pinata looks like a really, really cute hippo?
Rinda

Amanda said...

That looks so cute. You've given yourself quite a job but I'm sure you'll do it.

Rhona said...

That is soo cute!! I take my hat off to you, you have no hesitation at trying new things and they always turn out beautifully! Marti, you have a super talented daughter and I hope you have a fantastic time at your party :) xx

Irene said...

He is sooo cute. You did a great job.

Margaret said...

Well, I'm going to have to tell you what I always told me kids. No pinatas. You want people to cry, you get a pinata. Do you want people to cry?

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

So cute deb! love the little guy, and I DO see a hot air balloon! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...