Thursday, March 22, 2012

Breakfast egg boat

My girl C, does a Friday Favorites on her blog.
These favorites always include at least one food item, and
it's a toss up between those recipes that she wants to try,
and those she hopes that I will make.


Last week while my mom and step-dad were here I made this baked egg boat that I had seen on one of Carrie's Friday Favorite posts. The original recipe can be found here, but I will also post my version at the bottom of this post because I changed it up a bit.


My step-dad accommodated my photo shoot by arranging his plate very nicely. {Thanks, Rod!} He added a dollop of sour cream, some salsa, and fresh cilantro {coriander} from my garden.


This was really delicious and something that I will definitely make again!
Here's the recipe in case you'd like to give it a try:

Baked Egg Boat
 1 baguette {pretty sure that's French for really hard loaf of bread!}
5 eggs
1/4 cup {2 oz} milk
some chopped up ham {or bacon or sausage}
2 green onions chopped {I used the green parts and a little bit of the white}
1/2 cup {4 oz} grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cut a piece of the baguette out of the top of the loaf, and then hollow out some of the bread inside. Combine all ingredients on the list, and include all the bread chunks from the center of the loaf. I used everything but the top crust. Pour it all into the baguette shell and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Take photos for a blog post to let it cool for a bit, then slice and serve with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Mom said...

My serving was the yummiest because I didn't add cilantro! Perfect breakfast and thanks again for treating us so royally while we were there! Love you! xo

Unknown said...

Yes, but when I post those on my Five Favorites Friday, I expect that you will make them for me. Bummed I didn't get to try this one out - make it again soon, okay?!

Alison said...

I pinned this when Carrie posted about it...must remember to actually MAKE it!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

It looks delicious,Deb.

Rhona said...

I wouldn't add cilantro either Marty :). It looks delicious but it would be a no no for me because I can't eat the bread :( xx

Margaret said...

Sounds good to me. I'd take Marti's cilantro, love it.

Karen said...

This looks so good I'm tempted to invite someone over just to have a reason to make it!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful! And I think there's lots of potential for variations - I"m thinking some goat cheese and sundried tomates . . . maybe some cured black olives too!
Rinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...