Sunday, October 23, 2011

Things on the wall in the hall.

Hello, blog friends! Yesterday's post showed the before and after shots of the hallway in our new home. Today I'm showing you a few things on the wall that hold special meaning for us.


The heart-shaped bottle in the photo above holds sand from the beach in Florida where Doug and I honeymooned, and the frame above it is one of my favorite treasures in our home. It was made by a friend of mine {Corri} when we worked together at a scrapbook store about five years ago. This framed piece was used as the sample for a class the store was offering. We needed a wedding photo to use in the sample and I volunteered ours. When the class was over, I got to have the frame. :o)


For my friends who are crafters and/or for those who are interested: the frame itself started as a plain, unfinished wood frame. It was painted with off-white acrylic paint and then embellished with textured wrapping paper, buttons, a zig-zag paper strip, and black velvet ribbon along the outer edge. There's a transparency overlay with print that we sold in the store at the time too.


Back to the honeymoon:  We loved the beach in Florida with all those pieces of polished shells instead of fine sand. I brought several pounds back with us, and am surprised I didn't exceed the suitcase weight limit flying home!


Up until our honeymoon, Doug was the only one that ever found heart-shaped rocks, but on the beach in Florida I was the lucky one who spotted this heart-shaped piece of coquina. It's displayed in this shadow box along with some more honeymoon sand at the bottom.

I hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend.
I'm going to a witch-hat-decorating party this afternoon.
<|:o}

15 comments:

Amanda said...

I love your personalised decor.The frame really compliments your lovely photo.

And you're not alone wanting to collect things I always have to go shell collecting on holiday......just one or two treasures to bring home.

Irene said...

I love that your decor has personal meaning. That is a beautiful picture and frame. Have fun decorating your hat and be sure to take plenty of pics.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What awesome, awesome treasures! And Doug looks absolutely adorable in your wedding picture.
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

The framed picture is absolutely wonderful,Deb....and I totally agree with Rinda about how Doug looks in it.

Rhona said...

What a fantastic photo to have in your hallway. Like the others, I love the fact that the things you have on display are so personal to you and Doug :) Hope the hat decorating went well and look forward to seeing the pictures xx

Alison said...

Beautiful wedding pic and frame Deb..love your bis and pieces!

Anonymous said...

What lovely reminders of your wedding. Love the frame and the heart shaped bottle.

Cheri said...

That frame is absolutely freakin' BEAUTIFUL!!! Will be adding that to Pinterest for future idea lifting!

Sian said...

Beautiful! You add a loving, personal touch to everything you do

traci said...

so sweet. i love that you brought sand home and it's in the bottle. i never think to do that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Love the hall redo and this is just wonderful!

humel said...

Oh, perfect :) Love the frame, and love the sand! (We honeymooned in Prague - I suppose I could have brought back some water from the Vltava River... Could have been interesting going through customs!)

Beverly said...

Lovely and even more so because of the sentimental value. You both are beautiful in your wedding photo!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

what beautiful mementos deb! so sweet! I love how you're really making your new house a home!

Anonymous said...

It looks great. Love how it's so personal. Now you've got me wishing I'd brought back some sand from our honeymoon. Maybe I can do that for our 30th next year. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...