Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saturday's Scavenger Hunt Photo Bit

Happy Saturday morning, blog friends!
So far, I have ten of the 21 items on Rinda's Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt. My Saturday morning submission is a little bit somber, but warrants some nice reflection...

#8 - My country's flag
This is the Arizona State Capitol building with the US flag in the middle, Arizona state flag to the right, and MIA/POW flag on the left.

I took this photo last weekend during my downtown Phoenix excursion and by the time I got to the capitol the morning was really heating up. I sat on the lawn across the street waiting {wishing} for a nice breeze to come through and unfurl these flags. I finally had to settle for a little breeze that took them from hanging-straight-down to showing-just-a-little-bit.

#13 - A cemetery of historical significance or with an interesting story

This photo was taken through the fence of the Pioneer Veterans Memorial Park in downtown Phoenix. What a hot and dry and desolate place, but I suppose back in 1846 there weren't many options so there you have it. Here's another photo, listing all of the different events that could have led to being laid to rest here:
Haha...and this one that made me giggle {softly because this was a serious place...}
Hm...too bad...Doug and I have been looking for a new camp site...

Enough of that...let's get serious again...

 #20 - A handmade roadside memorial or shrine
And I do mean serious. In May 2006, one of Carrie's best friends was killed by a drunk driver on a Sunday just after 12 o'clock noon. Sean's life was taken at the age of 17, less than a mile from our house. There were tons of flowers, candles, and crosses for the longest time, but all that remains is a bunch of silk flowers taped around this light pole. I know this photo wouldn't win any photography contest, but when I read "roadside memorial" on Rinda's list I knew it had to be this one.

I kind of hate to end on that note, but that's life in the big city. I'll remember Sean's goofy personality and if you'd known him you'd be smiling right now too.

Blessings to each of you this weekend and always.

PS: Don't drink and drive.

7 comments:

Mom said...

I love all your posts but occasionally you have one that is even more extra special than others. This one rates way up there. Rinda's scavenger hunt has opened up a whole new Phoenix for all of us and you are representing it with dignity and grace. Remarkably done, my dear! Love you! xo

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hi Deb,
I enjoyed your photographic tour. What a great idea. I got a kick out of the No Camping sign!! I guess they make exceptions for those who are buried there. : )
I was sorry to hear of Carrie's young friend. I hope his family is ok and doing better by now. It sounds like he left them with a lot of sweet memories.
Have a good weekend, Deb.
Mary Lou

Sian said...

It's a nice thought though that with this post you have kept his name alive. A lovely post.

scrappyjacky said...

I'd like to echo Sian's comments, Deb...and I also love the 'no camping' sign!

Amy said...

Yes, I certainly echo the thoughts of Sian and Jacky.

It never ceases to amaze me where local councils place their signs ... that camping one is a ripper. We used to have a comedy show here where people were encouraged to send in photos like this one of signs in strange places. Great shots Deb :-)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Deb,
What a lovely post today. It is so important to remind people not to drink and drive, I think. I lecture my students about it a couple times a year because in fifteen years of teaching, I've lost three students to drinking & driving accidents.
I also love the sign in the cemetery. It's been so great to see everyone's scavenger hunt posts.
Rinda
p.s. love your mom's comment. she's so right-on.

Abi said...

a lovely post and beautiful poignont pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...