Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sometimes color inspiration comes from the strangest places.

I have a small book titled "Fortune-Telling Birthday Book." It contains a little paragraph for each day of the year so you can look up your birth date and read about yourself. (Kind of silly, but sort of fun.) At the beginning of each month there's a page that tells information about that month. For instance, here's what it says about May:

BIRTHSTONE: Emerald: Success in Love
FLOWER: Lily of the Valley
COLORS: Yellow and Red

I've never been crazy about emeralds, and lilies are my least favorite flower, but when I read "yellow and red" the other day I was instantly inspired. This is a combo I haven't used before (ever?) so I went straight to my craft room.

I purchased these small canvases from the dollar bin at Michael's a while ago. It was fun to go into my craft room and pull some things together without any pre-planning, using odds and ends that were on my craft table. It's kind of school-house-rock-style, but I like it.

And, I loved working with the red and yellow color combo so much that I decided to use that as the color scheme for the "All About Me" project I'm creating.

I think I'll use this little birthday book as a monthly color inspiration. June's colors are light blue and white...

14 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love what you've done with the canvas....and the colours work so well.

sharyncarlson said...

Oh how fun! Your canvas turned out great and I love the idea of using the book for inspiration. I'm a June birthday and light blue with white sounds right up my alley!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It came out great! (and I have that book too!)

Anonymous said...

You are truly amazing! SO not fair that you got every ounce of crafty--I got ZERO!
Love ya---Val

humel said...

This is lovely - and I can't wait to see how your AAM project turns out! xx

Amy said...

What a great way to be inspired! Love how the canvas turned out Deb - you chose such a beautiful photo :-)

Mom said...

What a cute idea! I need to start looking at Michael's dollar stuff--although even if I'd found those canvases, I wouldn't have known what to do with them! xo

Maria Ontiveros said...

That's so sunny and fun! I think the black really makes the red & yellow pop!
rinda

Sian said...

Great colour combination! Really fresh and zingy for this time of year.

debs14 said...

This all comes together so beautifully - the colour combination is great.

MarleneMAZ said...

I love the canvas, what size is it ?
Great colour combination, of course my birthday months is May also so I have to say that :)

Ruth said...

I never would have put thoses colours together, but they do look fab. Did I mention that I'm a May birthday, as well?

Margaret said...

Adorable.

Jana said...

This canvas is great. Love the color combo. I have some of those canvases somewhere. Off to hunt them up now. Thanks for the motivation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...