Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rainy day baking

I love baking when it's dark and rainy outside. So this past weekend while Hubby was golfing (yes, in the dark weather), I pulled out my old Betty Crocker Cookbook and made an old standard.

Peanut Butter Cookies
~sigh~
I love this recipe. These cookies are a bit like shortbread - melt-in-your mouth flakes of yummy. The recipe goes like this:

Peanut Butter Cookies
recipe adapted from
Betty Crocker Cookbook
pub. 1978
("vintage" to Carrie)

In a large bowl, combine and mix:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 egg
(plus I add 1 t. vanilla extract)

In a separate bowl, combine the following:
1- 1/4 c. flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

and then add it to your egg/sugar mixture:


Shape dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Use a fork to smash the cookie balls, making a criss-cross shape on top.

Bake at 350 degrees until set but not hard, 9-10 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.

And, of course:
(For the record, I don't let him walk all over my kitchen counters. He has this thing where he keeps his back feet on the bar stool, and puts the front of his body on the counter. We gave up trying to keep him off a couple of years ago, but this is as far as he goes.)

Curl up on the couch with a good book,
a glass of milk, (and most likely a cat) and
ENJOY!
.
It's raining outside.
xo
.
PS: FYI for my international friends, shortening is like a solid form of vegetable oil. :o)

17 comments:

debs14 said...

These look delicious! I just need to go and 'google' shortening to find out what the English equivalent is! Definitely going to try these though. My son is a huge fan of peanut butter so next time he is home!

traci said...

i'll be over in a minute. i wouldn't mind a cat on my lap at all. i miss ours.

great cookie recipe. you are giving pioneer woman a run for her money.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

LOL. Right, Traci.

And, Deb, I didn't think about my UK friends not knowing what shortening is...I'll edit my post to include that it's a vegetable based product - kind of like a solid form of vegetable oil. I hope that helps!

xo

Ruth said...

These look delish! I'll have a go ... once I've found shortening and converted the measurements! That's a brilliant last photo ~ love it!

Jeanne Oliver said...

Your cookies look good. Would you believe that I don't eat peanut butter??? True. My mom used to put it on EVERYTHING while I was growing up and now I can't stand it:-)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great photos - i also have a vintage Betty Crocker. Rainy here today, too! The cat curls up next to my computer all the time.
Rinda

Mom said...

Save me one! Love PB cookies--I think it has a lot to do with the fork tracks on top! See you tomorrow! xo

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

They look good Deb! (you know my address, I'll be checking for some in the mail! On the other hand, it is snowing again, so maybe I'll come over there and get them!)

Unknown said...

Mmmm...they were so good! By the way, Scott really liked them and he said, "tell your mom I think my favorite cookie is snickerdoodles..." Think it's a hint? :)

Emilie Lynne said...

Oooh I have to try these, they sound soo delicious! I always think that cookies with the fork pattern on top look so cute for some reason. I guess I am insane! Haha.

And don't feel bad about the cats on the counters thing... mine get on our dining room table, on the counter, in the sink, you name it. They don't listen when I tell them to get down, but when my dad tells them to, they run for the hills with the fear in their eyes. I guess I'm just not intimidating enough? =P

humel said...

Sadly my peanut allergy counts out this recipe :-( Glad you enjoyed though x

PS Please don't let The Doctor know that it's possible to golf in the dark!!

The Norman Clan said...

Did you make a few of them button size?? These are Tim's favorite, but sadly our diet will not let us have them right now... :-(

Sian said...

Ah, I have wondered what shortening was for years!! These look delicious.

Lizzie said...

Mmmm.... love peanut butter... These cookies sound perfect! I now have a set of Cup measures, so I can even make US recipes without much messing around with converting quantities (though why you want to measure it like that defeats me... why stuff sticky solids like shortening and peanut butter in a cup, when you could just weigh them?). I may christen my measuring cups with this fabby little vintage recipe.

I also have a "vintage" 1970's cook book, which was given to me in 1978 as a birthday present (I was just starting to experiment with cooking, so my mum got me a cook book. She hasn't stopped buying them for me since then!). I also have my eye on my mum's genuine vintage "BeRo Cook Book"! Hoping she may let me have that one of these days - it contains so many recipes I recognise from my childhood!
Thanks for sharing your cookie recipe... mmmmm (there I go again!)

Cate Brickell said...

sometimes "vintage" recipes are the best! Shortening in Australia is copha (it took me two hours, and a hunt on my blog, to remember the name, does baby brain ever get better?)

sharyncarlson said...

Yum yum yum, I love peanut butter cookies! My mom and I still bake from her old Betty Crocker cookbook :)

patricia said...

Been wanting to make some with Whole Foods all natural Honey Roasted Peanut Butter. Think I will give your recipe a try. I always used Fanny Farmers recipe. They are very similar. And yes, a glass of milk:)
New to your blog. LOVE IT!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...