Since today is Veterans Day, I would be remiss in not sharing my connection to one of the greatest Veterans I know: my father-in-law, Dave. His service to our country and his community is impressive to say the least. Here we are at the annual Marine Corp Birthday Ball this past Saturday night:
- served 22 years in the Army National Guard, the U.S. Navy, and U.S. Marine Corps
- flew 26 different types of aircraft, props, jets, multi-engines, and helicopters
- served two tours in Vietnam, flying 1080 combat missions
- was shot down four times
- earned 76 medals and decorations, including: 3 Silver Star medals, 4 Distinguished Flying Crosses, The Bronze Star Medal with Combat V, and 54 Air Medals
- received Alfred A. Cunningham Award as the "Marine Aviator of the Year"
- retired as Lieutenant Colonel after serving three years at the Pentagon
- inducted into the Arizona Aviation Hall of Fame
- inducted into the Arizona Veterans Hall of Fame
- is a sweetheart of a man with a heart of gold and a joy to all who know him.
I'm so proud to be Dave's daughter-in-law. I'm in awe of his bravery and the sacrifices he made to serve our country. Take some time today to thank a military person, and in the future when you see someone in uniform, thank them as well. We enjoy a lot of freedoms in the U.S. because of their service.