Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The end of an era, and the beginning of something new

To everything, there is a season.
Breaking up is hard to do...  It's not you, it's me...

Oh, friends. I can't even tell you how many times I've written this blog post. I've saved drafts and deleted them, I've written lengthy explanations and brief little farewell posts.

I even wrote a really long post that I planned to publish yesterday, but here I am re-writing it one more time.

I have talked about moving away from blogging for a few years now – closing up shop, no more PaperTurtle, trading morning blogging for morning yoga… I’ve mentioned it in conversation to my friends and family only to have them scoff, “I’ll believe it when I see it” – probably because I’ve threatened to do it so many times.

I published my first blog post in November 2008. Since then I have published 1,513 posts that have included sewing projects, baking cupcakes, growing sunflowers, raising turtles, losing my mom, drawing mandalas, teaching yoga and remodeling houses. For eight years I have shared our day-to-day life, weekend recaps, stories about my past, contemplating human nature, being vulnerable and speaking from my heart. For eight years I have been finding my own voice, making new friends, being inspired and inspiring others. And for eight years I have been photographing and writing about it all.

I believe that the success of a blog depends solely on the goals of the blogger. The success is directly tied to the outcomes the blogger hopes to realize. And since I never set out to "gain" anything from keeping this blog in the first place, the benefits have far exceeded anything I could have imagined to begin with. I just know that my focus has changed and there are other things I want to fill my time with and pay attention to.

When I think of the many ways PaperTurtle has served me, it feels like an immeasurable personal success! It really has been. And now it’s time for me to move in a new direction. I will still be writing, but not for this space. I will still be photographing, but also not for this space. Will I ever come back here? To PaperTurtle? Will I ever post more photos and/or stories? I don’t know. I doubt it, but stepping away from an eight-year-way-of-life is going to be strange. I won’t know until I try it.

In the meantime, you can “like” my yoga page on Facebook, MyYoga Friend Deb. I post quotes and links to articles/stories there and eventually, when my yoga blog is up and running, I’ll include links to my new blog posts there as well. I think I'll even come back here to PaperTurtle and post a link for my yoga blog when I'm ready to fly with that. For photos, you can follow my photos on Instagram. I’m PaperTurtle in that realm.

Sigh. So, yeah. That's that. I can hardly believe it myself. Maybe I won't fully believe it until I click that "publish" button and let this post fly. Just thinking about putting this out there gives me a sinking feeling in my belly. Silly as that sounds, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around closing my beloved PaperTurtle blog. I think this will be a tough habit to break... There's also part of me that feels a little giddy and excited for being able to focus more of my attention on my mandala and yoga path.
 
I would like to express my very sincere appreciation to those who have followed my blog and have continued to read my words. I feel so much gratitude for everyone who has ever left a lovely comment to validate me, lift me, inspire me, bless me.
Looking back over the past eight years, PaperTurtle feels like such a great accomplishment and precious gift. I’m so very proud of what I’ve done here, and now I’m excited to do something new.
Onward and upward, my friends.
With so much love and gratitude,
~ Deb

17 comments:

helena said...

I've so enjoyed your blogs and blogfriendship since meeting you in Shimelle's class in 2009. Watching your growing enjoyment of your new path of mandalas and yogo has been uplifting - good luck with them. I'll be watching via Insta. And thank you for a farewell blog rather than just disappearing - hard, I'm sure but satisfying to have proper closure.

Beverly said...

I am so very grateful that we connected through Shimelle's blogging class and that over the years we have laughed, cried and prayed together. I am so thankful that you have allowed us to experience a part of your, Doug, Carrie, Lucky, Whisker Jay, Casper and Rexy's world. What a great, open world we live in because of the internet that led us to actually sharing real time together! My blogging has been pretty non existent for the last year. I was feeling the itch to return but life's complications took away the desire. I'd probably be more likely too if it wasn't seen by the people around me so I would feel the freedom to be fully honest. But, I think I may return soon. You know I'll be staying in your world through all kinds of ways. Thank you for 8 wonderful years, you are part of my heart!

Audrey said...

Hi Deb! As you know, I somehow found your blog through your posts about your Mom. How grateful I am! I'm so happy I got to know you before you "finished" your blog and I will
faithfully be following along on IG (my fave!). I know this wasn't an easy decision but I think you'll be doing many wonderful things with your newfound time. I'm excited for you! While I will definitely miss you in this space, I understand your decision totally (says the woman who blogs maybe twice a year!). Sending big huge hugs!

debs14 said...

My first reaction was "Noooooo!!!!!" But when blogging becomes a chore and stops being a pleasure, it's time to draw a line under it. Thank you for forewarning us and not just disappearing. And thank you for 8 years of fun, and turtles, for grouping us into Team Teal, and letting us have an insight into your life. Thank you for becoming a true blog-friend and I know that while it's goodbye to the blog, it's not goodbye completely, there's still Facebook Deb and IG Deb and I'm looking forward to continuing following you over there.
PaperTurtle blog will always be here if you change your mind!

Cate said...

Sad as it is, I know you're making the right decision. Best of luck with the next step, I'll be trailing along quietly behind you to see what goals you rock next. Thank you.

Alison said...

You have just written the post I have been struggling with too...life moves on and, like you , I love what blogging has brought to my life but my life really HAS taken a new direction with the charity work with which I'm involved...I am going to go and write that post right now..thank you for giving me that extra push- and just a bit of notice that I'm hoping to be back in your neck of the woods in November!! Xx

Karen Moss said...

Sad post to read but I do understand as I am sure it is the right decision for you. Take care dear friend and I will see you in Instagramland xxx

Lady Ella said...

Good luck with it all. I'm sure the future's bright! (But if/when you finish that friendship quilt, I'd love to see photos... Please?)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Lady Ella ~ Yes! I will definitely share photos of the friendship quilt when it's complete. In fact, it's on my sewing table as I type. :o)

Susanne said...

Oh my, I am sure it was a difficult decision, and one a lot of us who have been following along with you have probably considered as well. First and foremost, I applaud you for blogging with a goal in mind, and knowing when the time is right to move onto something new. Now I'm off to IG, which I recently embraced, to find and follow PaperTurtle. Oh yes, and sending hugs too.

Karen said...

Needless to say, we'll miss you here. Since I don't "do" Facebook, and rarely get to Instagram, I hope you'll add the link to your new blog when it gets off the ground. For me, right now, blogging works, but Facebook and Instagram don't seem to fit. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for others. God Bless, and best of luck in all your new endeavors!

Barbara Eads said...

I'm going to miss you! You've taught me a lot over the years. I'm also going to miss your yard and garden updates! Everything you touch turns magical, so I'm sure your success will continue! I'll look forward to the new blog. And just maybe, you will inspire this chubby, 60-something to give yoga a try!

Jo said...

I will miss your blog and have enjoyed reading it so much. It has always been a little oasis of calm to me when things are getting stressful here. Good luck with your next adventure xx

alexa said...

I am so sad to read this ... And yet, excited and happy for you as you take off into another phase of your life and growth. It has been wonderful to be able to walk along a little bit of your journey with you, and I continue to treasure the little boat you sent me, which I see every time I sit down st my desk. With the warmest of regards xxx Alexa

Sian said...

I'm so sad: yours is the third goodbye post I have read tonight after coming back from holiday. We would never have met if it hadn't been for blogging, so I'll always be grateful that we both started to write. But let's not talk about me! YOU have cheered us, inspired us..so much, for so long, so thank you. I'm not a FB fan so I hope I'll be able to keep catching up with you on IG x

tainted with a positive view said...

I am sad, but I totally understand. I just started mine back up after taking at least 6 months off. It is a commitment, and I am sure you are equally committed to something new. Thanks, Deb, for letting me glimpse a piece of your life. Looking forward to see you again.

Turn The Page said...

You go girl! The mandalas and yoga are calling to you...follow your passion! Paper Turtle may have just been your stepping stone. Continue on the beautiful path that is before you. There is love and peace and great joy in abundance awaiting you!! And in your honor, I will create a mandala to abandon and know the finder will be tapped into your/our realm of beautiful existence! And I do hope you will allow us to continue the journey with you! With much Aloha...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...