Monday, January 19, 2015

This Weekend in my Garden

Good day, blog friends.
I hope this Monday morning finds you well and happy.
It seems weird that I haven't really played in the dirt for almost six months now! My yoga teacher training was awesome and time consuming, but now that my schedule of classes has relaxed a bit, I can get back to a little gardening. Plus, Arizona weather in late January? My favorite!
 

I planted some snapdragons in my garden about a year ago, and I was amazed at how long they lasted. I got lucky with the location I suppose, and the sun/shade ratio was just right to keep them growing through the crazy hot summer of 2014. And now that spring 2015 is around the corner, check out the sweet little volunteer sprouts I have popping up in my garden. I was so excited to see these, and there's a good possibility that my garden will be mostly purple snapdragons this spring and summer. {Note to Ma Nature: Thanks for making it easy on me this year!}

My basil plant is not the prettiest plant in the mix, but new little leaves kept me from yanking the entire thing out of the ground. Instead I clipped it back and brought in a few pieces to see about starting a new plant. Basil is super easy to propagate, so if everything goes according to plan, I should be able to put these back in the dirt in a month or so...

I'll admit that my time spent in the garden yesterday afternoon wasn't much - I basically pulled a few obvious weeds and then switched tools. I traded the garden trowel for my camera and called it good...

Last night's setting sun lit up our gigantic eucalyptus tree, and you can see our scraggly little blood orange trees struggling to survive in its shade.

And now I sit here on Monday morning, typing a blog post and thinking about rolling out my yoga mat before it's time to get ready for work. I think of the weekend gone by and I'm grateful for all of the things that kept me entertained and also for some much needed relaxation time.
 
There's a new week on the horizon, filled with all kinds of possibilities.
I hope it's wonderful for each of you.

12 comments:

Ruth said...

Our Spring bulbs are beginning to push their way through the soil :) Always a sign that winter is hopefully on the way out ...

debs14 said...

I actually saw the first daffodils growing wild on Saturday, a sure sign that Spring may be on its way. We have a few bulbs gently breaking through the ground but it will be a while before we have anything like the greenery you have!

Karen said...

It's hard to read about gardens and the comments about spring not being far away. But lovely to look at nonetheless!

scrappyjacky said...

Lucky you....with little plants popping up...while we are in the depths of winter....I think Spring is still a way off here.

Alison said...

Snapdragons are great for self-seeding and i hope you have more luck with the Basil than I ever have. Can you believe it's a year since I had that Margarita with you?! xx

Beverly said...

Oh, I do wish spring was truly right around the corner but I know our coldest days are ahead of us. Thankful we don't have long winters, though.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I've got to say, I am a bit jealous here! Can I come sit in your garden for a bit?

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a wonderful, positive post.

Becky said...

Lovely to read about your garden and see shoots popping up and the sunshine. January over here is so dismal! Roll on spring here, which will hopefully be about mid March time!

Miriam said...

You garden like I do at the moment, mostly with my camera!

alexa said...

Our bulbs are just beginning to peek out above the slowly receding snow ... I can't imagine how glorious it must be to live and garden in your climate. I always love seeing your garden photos!

Anonymous said...

I love it when all the shoots start appearing. I never knew that about basil - I'll have to try it some time even if it's just to grow it indoors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...