Wednesday, August 13, 2014

In search of Marlene's brownies.



My sister's friend, Marlene, makes THE BEST brownies on the planet - hands down! For the past 10 years or so, we have enjoyed her brownies on occasion when we visit my sister in California. Marlene knows how much we love them and regularly surprises us with a batch when we visit. We have asked for her recipe, but it's a secret.

Carrie had a good point though. She mentioned that perhaps it's best for us to NOT have the recipe, otherwise we'd make them all the time. Totally true.

I recently searched the internet for a recipe that looked similar to what I thought Marlene's brownies would be. I made the batter and used a smaller pan than was called for, hoping that the thickness of the brownies would match Marlene's in structure.



They were thick like Marlene's brownies, but nowhere nearly as yummy, so it's back to the drawing board!
 
Anyone have a thick, cake-like brownie recipe you'd like to share?
And I'm curious, does your family have a recipe that is held as a close secret?

8 comments:

Susi said...

Yum! Brownies are hands down my favorite dessert. At times I feel like I could eat the whole batch but so far I've been able to stop at just a few. Good luck finding a matching recipe. We have no secret recipes in my family. Everyone just has that special something that they make for family get togethers.

Patty said...

My Mom always said it was a compliment when someone asked for her recipes. It's also a way for them to live on after you're gone. So, no secrets in my family. But unfortunately all our brownies come from a Girardelli box! :)

scrappyjacky said...

I love brownies.....but have never mastered how to make them successfully.

Karen said...

I rely on a mix for brownies, so I'm no help. No secrets here, either, but my SIL's family has a secret lemon chiffon pie recipe. Adam sent it to me before he and Sarah married so I could make him one when he visited. Frankly, they always seem to taste better when HE makes them!

Miriam said...

My mother-in-law would never give me the recipe for one of her desserts and after feeling a bit miffed to begin with I now realise that I can only have her glorious dessert when I visit, it makes it so much more special. I love your first picture of the brownie on that gorgeous red spotted napkin.

Anonymous said...

We had salted caramel brownies last week - not home made I would add but am now on a quest for that recipe!

Kirsti said...

Mmmh...I do love warm brownies with icecream...my little one made at cookery class the other week and they were yummy...will get the recipe for you if I can..xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

I have a great brownie recipe. Will send it to you soon.
We're definitely recipe sharers in our family.
Rinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...