Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Currently, in Turtle Land

We've had a fair amount of rain here over the past couple of weeks, and our turtles love it! Our atrium (their habitat) is thriving - like its own little ecosystem out there. Having the turtles out and about has afforded me with some photo ops, so that's what I'm sharing today.

Here's little Casper, coming out to greet me:





I've been coming home during my lunch hours to let Lucky inside for the afternoon and out of the Arizona heat {but that is coming to an end soon because fall is right around the corner!!!}. During the 30 minutes that I'm home, I've been tending to the atrium - watering the plants and entertaining our baby box turtle, Casper.

She totally digs the water hose! Check out this video I shot of her, running to play in the water - and eating a bug on the way:



So cool, right?

A couple of weeks ago we noticed a teeny-tiny lizard sunning himself on a rock in the atrium. He must have come through an opening at the top and either decided to stay or couldn't figure out an escape route. He has more than doubled in size since he came to stay! Anyway, he usually dashes into hiding when we enter the atrium, but the other day he sat still and allowed me to photograph him.



Doug has named him Leroy which adds a little more personality to him, causing me to worry. I have learned that box turtles eat lizards. Hide, Leroy! Hide!!!

And then, there's Rexy boy...

Rex is a bit more elusive than Casper and not nearly as curious. He did sit still for me last night, and I was happy to grab a photo of him to include in this post. Let's see, he's about 5 years old and Cas is about 2 now. We're hoping they'll mate one day, but according to the Internet it will be a few years before Cas starts producing eggs. So we patiently wait...
 
And here's one more video, of Cas just being cute:



Kind of makes you want a pet turtle, doesn't it?

7 comments:

Susi said...

Love it! And yes it does make me want a pet turtle.

scrappyjacky said...

Love the videos....but I still think I'll stick with furry critters.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I really enjoyed your videos today Deb. I can't say that a turtle is the first creature that springs to mind when I think of a pet, but yours are extremely cute.

PS Something strange is going on with your word verification. The box is almost always covered with a camiocam ad, which prevents me from seeing the number I need to type in! It takes some persistence to get past it and I don't always manage to do so.

Karen said...

I don't think turtles have much interest in our climate, and although we had a tiny turtle in a dish when I was growing up, I think I'll pass for now.

Sian said...

Why, yes! Yes it does!

Sian said...

I've just seen Fiona's comment about the "camiocam". I'm getting that too, but have discovered that if I actually type the word "camiocam" into the box, it works

Audrey said...

Um yes, totally. Could Cas be any cuter? GOOD LORD. My family would disown me because I'd sit around and watch them all day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...