Thursday, April 24, 2014

This week in my garden ~ thoughts on setting a daily intention

Typically, at the beginning of a yoga class, a teacher will guide us to choose an intention to hold for the duration of our time together. The intention might be to honor our body's current level of movement, focus on breathing and forgetting the outside world for an hour, or even just allowing ourself to be happy right there on our mat.
 
In all the years that I've been practicing yoga, I've never brought the practice of setting an intention to my morning routine - I'm not sure why. Recently, as my feet hit the mat one morning and I took that first deep breath, my mind automatically went toward setting an intention. And it wasn't about setting an intention for my morning yoga practice, it was about setting an intention for the entire day.


Every Saturday for the past few months, I've been setting an intention of cultivating kind thoughts for myself - I basically take the day off from beating myself up. What that means for me is this: every time my mind drifts to a negative thought about myself I recognize it and consciously think a thought to counter it. Like, negative thoughts about my body, bad hair day, smile lines - yes, I constantly pick myself apart - I do my best to push those thoughts aside by purposely honoring myself right then and there. I give thanks for those "smile lines" and the fact that I have hair. My body doesn't look like it did when I was 21 but hey! I haven't been 21 for a really long time.

This morning my thoughts are on a presentation I'm doing at work this afternoon. Thoughts of inadequacy and potential failure creep in, so my intention for today is to just go with the flow. If I stumble over words in front of my coworkers, well, I'll stumble over words. Chances are that everything will go smoothly, but I am human and this is planet earth and things are just bound to happen. That doesn't mean I'm inadequate or a failure by any means! My intention for today is to just go with the flow.




Even on a cloudy day there is still beauty in a flower.
What intentions do you hold for yourself today?

12 comments:

helena said...

hope it all goes / went well. I've never clicked with intentions but I battle to stop mulling over negative thoughts and so in the past 6 months I've been trying to change my thoughts by singing either the Muppet song mahna mahna or 'to life' from fiddler on the roof - both up beat

Susanne said...

Lovely snaps, and a thought-provoking post. I'll think on it.

debs14 said...

I've struggled to keep a positive frame of mind this week. Maybe I need to try and copy your good intentions!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I practiced yoga in my twenties and have returned to it recently, but I have never been to a class. I tend to think of nothing but my breathing and relish just turning off my racing brain!
I *may* be putting something in the mail for you tomorrow :o)

Karen said...

Hope your presentation went well; I'm sure it did! It's so easy to find fault with ourselves; it's a struggle I never quite get past.

Amy said...

How did you go? :)

I don't necessarily have daily intentions for myself but I do them for the kids and I have one phrase I have uttered to TSYO since the day she was born ... she knows it off by heart and grins widely when I say it now ... 'I know, I know Mum! You say that to me all the time!'

Susi said...

I hope your presentation went well! I to pick myself apart all the time and I have a hard time pushing it all aside. But I'm working on it. You are a beautiful, caring, loving and well loved person. I've learned that by reading your blog. xo

Maria Ontiveros said...

Today my intention was to pamper myself. I went to the gym and then Clara and I went for a hot tub and massage to celebrate the end of my semester. It was wonderful!
Rinda

Alison said...

Hope your presentation went well.....my intention today is to enjoy my time with my family...ignoring the underlying tensions!!
Alison xx

Audrey said...

Hi Deb, how did your presentation go? I hope well ~ I bet you killed it!!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures Deb and a very thought provoking post. I've never thought about intentions on a daily basis. How did your presentation go? I'm sure it went well.

My Amazing Days said...

I really like your pictures!! Your doggie is soo cute. My Mom always says to not think negative things, and definitely not say them out loud. Even on little things, like when you go, "I'm afraid that blablabla" -- just don't!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...