Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Little Glow Bugs for Easter

Glow little glow worm, glimmer, glimmer...






The first time I saw these I knew I wanted to make a few of them for Easter! The original source had some really cute photos but no in-depth tutorial. And although these aren't rocket science, it did take a little trial and error to get them to hold together. I thought I'd share some tips in case you'd like to give them a try yourself.





The original source used duct tape for the wings, but I wanted something transparent. So I used clear packaging tape and sprinkled a little glitter on it before adding another piece of tape on top to enclose the glitter. Then I cut the little wings shape and used another small piece of packaging tape to adhere them.





I cut pipe cleaners in half, and then I used a sharp pushpin to make small holes for the pipe cleaners to feed through. My first try was done with a heavy duty hole puncher which worked great, but the pipe cleaners didn't hold well so I switched to the pushpin. Then, the holes were really small so I had to feed the tip of the pipe cleaner into the hole and use a pair of pliers to pull them through. It was a little tricky, but the result is a nice strong hold on the pipe cleaner keeping the antenna and legs firmly in place.

The googly eyes are held on with tacky glue, and I used a Sharpie marker to draw the mouth.

Add a battery operated "candle" for the glow and
you're ready for some night time Easter camping fun!

10 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Cute! Sounds like a fun camping trip. Enjoy x

Susi said...

I love these little critters. Thanks for sharing. I've got to make one for my Grand-daughter, she'll love them too!

Lizzie said...

Oh fabulous! I did wonder how you made them glow - battery "candles" are a great idea... forgot about those!
They do look lovely - I must see if we have any of those little capsules around the house (the boy's junk-store is probably the best place to try). Maybe I could make some for the little girls...

scrappyjacky said...

These are so cute,Deb....and I love how you've made them glow.

Beverly said...

adorable! I am starting a folder of things to do with Small Frye :)

Anonymous said...

Those are darling! If only I had some small nearby to make them for. I think I'll be passing on the link to your blog to my niece & nephew's wife if you don't mind.

Sian said...

These are very cute!

traci said...

oh my goodness. how cute are those?!!

Jo said...

They are so cute and such a great idea :)

Susanne said...

So cute! And clever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...