Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Spray Paint and Me

Lately I've been seeing so many awesome projects involving spray paint. I've been awed by how a simple can of paint can transform a glass jar into a color-coordinated flower vase. Or a pretty mercury-glass candle holder. Or a glow-in-the-dark flower pot. I was itching to try my hand at it, so a couple of weeks ago I braved the home improvement store and purchased three cans of spray paint. I was ready to create something awesome!


Random fact #1: I have always been a fan of glow-in-the-dark stuff. So when Carrie sent me a link and I saw these groovy flower pots, I wanted them! I never really looked up a tutorial for the best way to accomplish that awesome look - I was just so happy to have found glow-in-the-dark paint I just went for it. Problem: the terra cotta pots I used really should have been sprayed with a primer before I sprayed, oh, I don't know...10 coats of glow-in-the-dark stuff that totally soaked into the clay and barely lights up once the sun goes down. {Note to self: read directions.}


Random fact #2: I collect jars. You just never know when you'll need one for holding flowers, storing leftovers, and I-don't-know-what-else. I love jars. And fortunately for this one, I didn't need a tutorial. I used regular ol' red spray paint, a couple of clean jars, and I started spraying.


I should mention at this point that I asked Doug to not watch. For those of you that may not know, my hubby has been a professional painter for over 30 years, and this kind of stuff is like second nature to him. Me? Well, not so much. I had grand illusions of painting jars, some rocks {to be turned into strawberries} and an old cafeteria tray.

The results? Well, the jars turned out pretty good, except for the one that got stuck to the newspaper when the wind blew. And I over-sprayed the rocks causing paint to drip down underneath, making them stick to the newspaper. And the tray? I never made it that far. Turns out by then I wasn't a fan of spray-painting. And I realize I could have asked Doug to do it for me, but I'm stubborn about junk like that. Silly me.


Right, so this is a fun little mason-jar turned-flower-vase. I put a metal ring on this one before I sprayed it and I really liked the look - plus it made for a more narrow opening that I like for flower arrangements.

Random fact #3: When we were kids a thermometer broke and we had the most fun playing with the mercury ball that rolled around on the floor. We split it into pieces and were amazed at how the individual balls kind of morphed into each other when they touched. Man, we loved that mercury. Who knew it was a dangerous element? Not us! And we survived. A small miracle.

Anyway! Mercury glass. I love the aged look of mercury glass, and when I saw this tutorial for creating a mercury glass finish, I added it to the list of stuff I wanted to spray.


Now, for this one I did follow directions. Well...sort of. I followed the directions but I couldn't find "looking glass" spray paint. I did find a glossy silver metallic paint though, and that seemed to work just fine. Of all the things I sprayed, I loved this finish the most.


So, I think I got the whole spray-painting-desire out of my system. Or at least I am over the desire to do it all myself. I think some more painted jars are in my future, but I'll leave the other stuff to the professional. {Doug? Will you make me some glow-in-the-dark flower pots?}

How about you? Have you tried your hand at spray painting?

16 comments:

Beverly said...

I think your jars look fabulous. I am a spray painter especially terra cotta pots usually the large ones and yes the primer/sealant is very important. You'll be seeing some spray painted jars on the blog today ;)

Irene said...

Your mason jars look great. Love that bright red one. Patio Paints makes a sealer that will make those clay pots non-porous. I have used it before, it works great and a small bottle goes a long way.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

They came out neat! I have visions of spray painting stuff but somehow, I never seem to follow through. oops!

Audrey said...

Haha, I think spray painting is so hard. It's too thick in some places and not enough in others. I think you need a steady hand and I don't really have that! Your story made me laugh because I've tried spray painting with my Dad several times and I always tell him not to watch me!!! Anyway, I think your projects look great!!

Lisa-Jane said...

I am rubbish with spray paint because somehow I make everything dribble! I LOVE that red jar - it looks totally different and awesome!

Miriam said...

I have spray paint to do our garden table & chairs and the Chimnea! Ill see how I get on with them first. I do like the red mason jar though.

scrappyjacky said...

I'm pretty rubbish with spray painting....it goes everywhere except where it's meant to go!!!
I love the red jar....looks great.

alexa said...

The metallic look is very convincing ... I like its subtlety too. The only thing I spray paint is some matt black on our cast iron stove once a year!

Abi said...

I love that red jar. I like jars for holding flowers too. I think I will have to wait till I get my own place before I start spraying or mum would probably freak out!

Amy said...

I am enjoying the subtle undertone of humour within your post Deb - I do hope Doug was in no way put out at not being required to help with expert advice?!

The metallic has worked out really well ... seriously, it would never occur to me to even try this!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the red and the metallic. I worked with black spray paint in an online class and "got over it" pretty quickly.
Rinda

Karen said...

I am NOT a fan of painting in any form and spray paint is the worst! To say that I make a mess is putting it mildly. I even have trouble with the spray mists popular for papercrafting! I love the red jar!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness you did make me laugh with this post, but the jars look great! I just love the red one!

Anonymous said...

Spray paint! Definitely going to give it a try - thanks!!

boysmum2 said...

Love the red jar and the fact you were determined to do this yourself!

Anonymous said...

Love the jars - especially the red one. I spray painted years ago and quickly got over it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...