Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In one year's time...

Our backyard space.

This past weekend marked the one year anniversary of us moving into our current home. Wow - it needed a lot of work! Sometimes we feel like there's still so much to be done, but as I looked back through our photos this morning I'm reminded how far we've come. Doug has worked so hard around here, and now I'm kind of feeling guilty for the current honey-do list I have going for him on the kitchen counter...


At some point I really should do a complete backyard before and after post, but what I want to share this morning are the blood oranges that are happening back there at the moment. This house was a "bank owned" property and had sat vacant for a year with none of the trees being watered. Considering the extreme summer heat we have here in Arizona, the fact that these trees survived is a miracle.


Look at all that fruit! Yay!!!

The photo below is what one of the trees looked like last year at this time. There were two very sickly looking pieces of fruit, and all kinds of dead branches {gigantic eucalyptus tree in the background here - messy tree but fantastic shade...}.


This is a section of the backyard as it looked a year ago. The two blood orange trees are on the left. We knew they were citrus trees, but it wasn't until we asked a neighbor that we found out they were both blood orange trees.


That was then...
This is now...


And now, these trees are covered with fruit! We are expecting some amazing citrus close to Christmas time. I have plans for blood orange marmalade for gift giving!

But here's the thing - I've never tasted a blood orange before. I understand they are pretty tasty. Anyone have any experience with this fruit? Any great recipes I should put on my list of things to try?

11 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful transformation. I'm surprised you can keep your grass green. When I interviewed at Arizona State (when starting my teaching career), I remember everyone having bowls of citrus on their kitchen counters and bags to give away!
No help on what to do with your crop.
Rinda

Ruth said...

I was also surprised at how green your grass is! What a wonderful transformation!
Can't help on the blood orange front, I'm afraid.

Sian said...

The name has always put me off them - isn't that ridiculous?

Your garden really is a credit to you both

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Lovely! can't believe it's a year already. Blood oranges tend to be a little tart, but delicious. And I think they have more of the good stuff in them - look up the health benefits, you will be surprised.

Beverly said...

A friend brought me some one year and they were incredibly sweet since then every time I have had one it hasn't been very sweet at all @@ The yard looks fabulous, I think you and Doug should have a gloriously romantic dinner on the patio this evening...if it's not melting weather ;)

Becky said...

My sister in law has blood oranges on the table at Christmas every year - her special treat, she loves them! Your garden is looking fantastic - well done :)

Patty Branco said...

Tyler just loves the juice!

Anonymous said...

Lovely garden photos Deb. I had a blood orange once but couldn't eat it because of the specks of red, as a child I was convinced that they were in fact blood.

Karen said...

What a beautiful spot you've created! I can't believe you've been there a whole year already. You should both be so proud of all you've done this year.

Amy said...

You have transformed that yard into an absolute oasis - truly, it looks fantastic!
TE is a fan of blood oranges and loves them for their juice, I think if you google recipes you'll find plenty - my MIL uses oranges, whole, vitamised, to make a delicious almond orange cake.

Alison said...

What a great job you've both done on the garden!
Alison xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...