Monday, November 14, 2011

A Cornucopia of Flavors...and favors.

Hi Blog Friends!

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had volunteered to bring favors to my sister's house for Thanksgiving this year. My original idea to make little jelly bean filled pumpkins didn't work out like I'd planned {plus I decided that making 24 of them wouldn't be that much fun...} so when I saw this idea on my friend, Mary Lou's blog I quickly changed directions!

* * * * * *


To create the cornucopia, I steamed sugar/waffle ice cream cones over boiling water to soften them, then curled them up at the end to create a cornucopia look.


Some things to note:
* I steamed three cones at a time because it was hard to keep up with them once they're steamed - they start to harden up right away.
* It took at least 90 seconds before the cones started to soften up enough to become pliable.
* The molding of the cones/cornucopias is grown-up's work - let the kiddos help you fill them once they've cooled.


I filled the cornucopias with Reeses Pieces, candy corn flavored M&M's, candy corn, cashews, and pretzel sticks. Oh yeah, and love.


I made these tags to tie on by using Microsoft Word and the pre-set template for business cards - shaded in the background and used a white font. Easy!



And that's it. I ended up making a total of 28 favors and I'm so excited to share them with my family!
Next week!!!


:o)!!!

November Attitude of Gratitude:
* I'm so grateful that Doug, Carrie, and I get to spend Thanksgiving with my family this year.
* I'm thankful for a sister who is hosting T-giving at her house!
* And thankful for same said sister who gives me creative license on favors and flowers.

27 comments:

Amanda said...

Brilliant idea and I just love your labels they are perfect finishing touch. I'm sure they'll go done well at your get together.

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous, and I'm bookmarking this for next year. I know Tracy's family would love them. I'd love a copy of the template for the tags as well.

traci said...

those are too darned cute. i need to get a little bit more creative.

Cheri said...

These are gorgeous Deb - but too much work for me! I'll be having 18 here for Thanksgiving. And as soon as I figure out where I'm coming up with sufficient dishes, silverware, and chairs... I'll be trolling the Internet for some super simple TG favors!

Sian said...

They are simply fabulous! Adaptability - that's the sign of a good crafter, eh?

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

They look great! What a clever idea and I love hearing the names of all the different American sweets and treats:o)

scrappyjacky said...

These look just wonderful,Deb.

Kim of Mo Betta said...

This is great! I'm going to use this for my son's 'Thanksgiving Feast' at preschool this week! The kids will love them!

Valerie said...

These are the cutest things I have ever seen---I am Thankful that I have a crafty sister! Can't wait to see you next week! Love you lots!

Irene said...

I am Thankful for You for sharing this wonderful idea.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oooh. Please send me that file. I think they would be fantastic embellishments on a scrapbook page! Also, do you think they would look okay (I know - not as cute as yours, but still okay) to skip the steaming and reforming step?
Rinda

Rhona said...

What a great idea and they look fantastic! Makes me wish we had Thanksgiving over here ;-) xx

Alison said...

Wow! You HAVE been busy Deb.....cany corn flavoured M&Ms?-you guys get all the good stuff!!
Alison xx

Alison said...

Wow! You HAVE been busy Deb.....cany corn flavoured M&Ms?-you guys get all the good stuff!!
Alison xx

Amy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Deb - I love these!

Erin said...

This is absolutely adorable!!!

Melissa said...

These are so creative! Great tips on working with the cones.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for favors.

Donald Smith said...

i would use these little cuties as personal cards and Standard Business Card Dimensions to hand out to friends, new friends, parents in my son's class, etc. so cute. thanks for sharing!

Beverly said...

So cute, I'll email you bec I'd love the file. Thanks for the details about steaming time, etc.

Mom said...

Yay! I get one! So clever and cute--always amazing, oh, daughter of mine! xoxo

Thankful for:
1. Daughters that love each other
2. Having all of you "home" for Thanksgiving!

LouAnn said...

If it is not too much trouble, I would love a copy of the printable that accompanies this project. I am going to attempt to do these for my family at Thanksgiving:)

louannkingsbury@yahoo.com

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I made these for my son's preschool class today...they were a huge hit (with all the moms anyway!) Thanks for posting such a cute idea!

dianapena8 said...

Yummy! what a cool idea and they look so cute, those are going to be a huge hit Thursday =D

Megan@Whimsically Homemade said...

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featuring you in our Favorite Find Fridays post today over at Whimsically Homemade. We're using one of your pictures and are linking back to you. If that's a problem let us know and we'll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

racheebabe said...

FYI, this craft and photo got ripped off by one of those darn facebook pages that steals everyone's stuff!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=630158190358384&set=a.389113021129570.89961.338362282871311&type=1&theater

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy of the printable too! Thanks, Casey sweetbsw@aol.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...