Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wilderness art

As we sat in the shade at camp last weekend, I watched in amazement as my brother-in-law, Don whittled away at some juniper sticks.
I was amazed at his skill and told him so, but he laughed saying that it was nothing. I disagreed and asked if I could take pictures of his work in progress. No...he didn't want that. But I'll always have that image in my mind of his seasoned hands skillfully crafting this little elk with nothing more than a pocket knife and a vision.
And when he was done, he gave me this little piece as a sentimental keepsake from what used to be our northern property.
At the end of this month someone else will own and enjoy this property in Young, Arizona. Yes, last weekend's camping trip was our final stay on this land. I suppose it's a bit silly to be too sad about letting go of a place that served its purpose so well for Doug and I, and all of our friends and family who have enjoyed spending time there. We rejoiced {through tears and laughter} last weekend, feeling so grateful for our time there, and so happy for the new owners who will create their own fun and memories on this dirt.

Lots of 's.

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Great little keepsake, he is very clever. Amazing how he has done the legs and antlers. It is very sad to say goodbye to somewhere with happy times associated with it.

traci said...

how cute is that....

you are selling your property too. that has to be bittersweet for you. such wonderful times there. the new owners will love it.

Mom said...

I'm glad we got to visit there a few years ago. It was beautfiul and relaxing and I know you'll miss going. But you'll find another spot and wonder why you were sad to leave this one! Life--it just keeps rolling! Love you! xo

Ruth said...

That is so clever and very sweet! Sorry to hear that you won't be going to the property any more, but think of all those scrapbook pages you'll be able to make.

Sian said...

I'm so sorry you are having to let this special place go. And I am hoping very hard that some time in the future you might be able to find a new place you will all enjoy

Lizzie said...

The little elk is lovely and I agree that it is clever!

Sorry that you have to sell your little bit of wilderness. I so hope you are soon able to find another "little bit of somewhere" special place for yourselves.
I hope you are okay - there seems to be a lot going on for you and your family just now. XXX

Rhona said...

I had wondered if your trip last weekend had some significance - I'm sorry to hear you're selling it but glad that you have some many wonderful memories of your times there. I also hope the new family will get as much pleasure from it as you and Doug have had. And now you have your little elk to always remember it by :) xx

Cheryl said...

Wow amazing he is so talented it is so cute. So sorry that you are leaving your beloved property but you still have some amazing memories x

Anonymous said...

It's hard to let go of places that hold so many fond memories. Thinking of you during these times of many changes.

humel said...

I've fallen so far behind because of silly computer playing up.... I've just enjoyed a catch up of all your posts and shared your last trip to your property with you. It's not silly to feel sad about that, Deb. I'm feeling sad for you. The memories will stay with you though, hang on to those xx

scrappyjacky said...

You will have so many wonderful memories to treasure forever.....and hopefully the new owners will build up many as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...