Saturday, June 4, 2011

23 years ago today...

...I was officially 9 months pregnant with Carrie.
And today I made red velvet cupcakes
for her 23rd birthday celebration.
My due date was June 4th and I remember thinking on this day {23 years ago} how surprised I was that I was STILL pregnant. Ugh! I thought for sure "the baby" would be a little early, and boy was I disappointed when my due date came and went...and especially when I woke up on June 5th still pregnant. {What the...?}
She didn't wait much longer, and was born on June 6th. Back then doctors didn't order ultrasounds unless it was a high-risk pregnancy, so we didn't know if this baby would be a boy or a girl. My doctor had guessed "boy" so we were geared in that direction. I knew I'd be fine with either one, but deep in my heart I really wished for a daughter.
Well, I got my wish and so much more! I hadn't even wished for a best friend, but that part completed the amazing package that is my girl C.
Tonight we'll celebrate with a "Girl's Night In" party at our house {we kicked Doug out for the weekend - thanks, Doug!} and these red velvet cupcakes. Yum!
Somebody needs to stop me...I hope there are cupcakes left for tonight...

PS: In celebration of her 23rd birthday, Carrie is hosting her "First Favorites Giveaway" on her blog. She's offering a really fun assortment of her favorite things. You should check it out! ;o)

22 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Uh...who knew Red Velvet cake batter was SO red?!?! There was another recipe I looked at that called for TWICE the amount of red food coloring than this one did.

Wish you were all here to have one! They are amazing and my house smells fantastic now! xo

Ruth said...

What a lovely post! I wish you and Carrie many more special times together. x

Unknown said...

Awww...cute post mom-friend! The cupcakes taste AMAZING.

Alison said...

They look yumptious! Have a great night...am off to check out Carrie's blog
Alison xx

Heather said...

Have a great weekend Deb! I wish we could have one of those delish looking cakes too :) xx

Mom said...

Oh, how I wish I was there! I remember how I felt 23 years ago when I got the call that I was a grandmother for the first time! And then 2 weeks later when I saw her for the first time, I completely lost my heart! I sent "Grandma announcements" to all my friends and every time I got a picture--which was almost weekly, I'd show them all over town. That baby girl was the cutest thing ever!!! Still is! Love you both and have fun tonight! xo

Maria Ontiveros said...

I don't know what I love more - your post of your mom's comment! Both are heart-touching.
Rinda

Rhona said...

What a beautiful post - I'll certainly be thinking of Carrie on Monday (which is my parents 58th wedding anniversary!). Hugh was over two weeks overdue when he was finally enticed out/induced. So funny to think we were pregnant at the same time 23 years ago. Hugh's birthday is two weeks on Monday!
Have a wonderful time tonight and enjoy those red velvet cupcakes (YUM!). xx

Amy said...

I am wishing you so many more wonderful memories together :-)
The cakes do look happy and bright - just right for the occasion I would say!

Clair said...

Everytime I read your blog (and through the comments) I'm reminded of how much your family is so loving. You all have an amazing bond and it's so touching x

Katie said...

Happy belated Birthday Carrie! I hope your had a lovely day. Eating red velvet cakes sounds like a great way to celebrate!

debs14 said...

Karen from Tales of the Scrapheap made red velvet cupcakes once for our crop, then she told us how much food colouring went into them! Certainly not a cake for children who get excited after eating colourings!
Hope your girl enjoyed them, they certainly look delicious!

MarleneMAZ said...

Mmm.. they look delicious! I hope you managed to save some for Carrie. Have a fun weekend celebrating her birthday.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

You did great - on the cupcakes, and the kid! A very happy happy birthday to your girl!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. I hope you gals had tons of fun. How could you not...with red velvet cupcakes and house all to yourselves. :-D
Mary Lou

Rachel Brett said...

Beautiful post Deb, those cakes look delicious!

...and Happy birthday Carrie, have a great girls night x

humel said...

Mmmm.... I wish I was there to have one, too!! Love this post, and love the comments from Carrie and your Mom, too xx

Denise said...

What a lovely post, I love the photo of the whisk with the bright red mixture! I hope you have a wonderful time together - and your mum's post is so lovely too x

Anonymous said...

I love your posts about Carrie as your love for her always shines through. Hope you both had a wonderful weekend.xxx

Valerie said...

Hope you had fun yesterday...Can't believe that Carrie is going to be 23! Wow I am getting OLD! Love you guys!

Sian said...

Happy Birthday Carrie! Actually, hold on, I'll go and wish her one directly x

You are a genius at making people in your life feel special.

Kristi Jean said...

Oh my gosh Deb....I'm not sure if it is just because I adore you two, or what, but I definitely had some teary eyes when reading this post! I hope the celebration was fantastic and I hope to see y'all soon :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...