Sunday, December 12, 2010

Forgetful Santa

When Carrie was little I made a few story books for her. I would write the story and she would draw the pictures. In 1993, the year she was five, I put together this little book for her. Every year it gets packed away with the Christmas stuff, and every year I come across it while I'm decorating our tree. It's a simple story, but the little book brings back strong memories for me. Isn't that the way it is with these sorts of things? It was the last Christmas that Carrie's dad and I would be together so there are those feelings {meaning that it was a sad time...} and a time when Carrie was at a curious and wonderful age {so it was a happy time too and makes me very sentimental that she's all grown up now...}.
.
Following is the Christmas story I wrote for her that year, along with a few of her pictures. {The names of the other children in the story are of Carrie's cousins and friends at the time...} Enjoy. :o}


Forgetful Santa
(Carrie's Christmas Story)

Story by: Mommy
Illustrated by: Carrie

Santa's elves were rushing about. It was Christmas Eve and almost time for Santa to leave to deliver Christmas presents to boys and girls around the world.
"Here's a package for Cris and Britny in Fresno, California," said one elf.

"And here's one for Ryne in Mesa, Arizona," said another elf.

"Please make sure you don't forget anyone!" Santa called out.
The elves continued loading Santa's sleigh. They loaded presents for Gavin and Jocelyn in Gilbert, Arizona, and for Samantha and Marissa in Scottsdale, Arizona.

By this time, Santa was running late. "I've got to get going," he called out to his elves. "I hope you packed everything. It sure seems like we're forgetting something," Santa worried.

Soon the sleigh was loaded and the reindeer were ready to go. Off they flew into the Christmas sky. Santa scratched his head and said, "I just keep feeling like I'm forgetting something."

Santa spent the night delivering all of his Christmas packages. He went to Cris and Britny's house, to Ryne's house, and then on to Gavin and Jocelyn, and Samantha and Marissa's houses.

By the time he got home it was getting very foggy and that made it hard for Santa to see where they were flying.

"Boy!" said Santa, "That was a busy night. But I still feel like I've forgotten something."
When Santa arrived back at the North Pole, Mrs. Claus was waiting for him. She ran out to the sleigh and called out, "Santa dear, you must go back out. You forgot Carrie's presents and it's almost Christmas morning!"

"Go get Rudolf FAST!" Santa called out. "I'll need him to light the way through this fog. Hurry! Carrie will be awake soon!"

Santa made it to Carrie's house just in time. He quickly drank the hot chocolate that she had left for him and put the cookies and carrots in his pocket for the flight home. He arranged her presents on the family room floor, filled the stockings and gave Maynard and Zildjian pats on their heads.

Santa dashed up the chimney just as Carrie was waking up. From the rooftop he could hear her say, "Mommy! Daddy! Come quick! Santa was here!"

As Santa was flying back home with his reindeer and munching on Carrie's cookies he had an idea. When he arrived at the North Pole this time he gathered Mrs. Claus and all of his elves together.

"Please make a note," he told them all. "From now on I will deliver Carrie's presents FIRST!"
...and he did.

* * * * *
PS: Thanks, Sian, for inspiring a weekly Christmas story through your Christmas Club. xo

21 comments:

Heather said...

what a lovely thing to still have! cute story and those drawings are adoreable, love Mrs Claus!

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely book,Deb....and such a precious memento of Carrie's childhood.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post - it fills you full of cosy Christmasness. You are a wonderful mom.

Unknown said...

I love this book! :) so fun for me to look back at it. :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Lovely, lovely post today. Such precious illustrations.
Rinda

Kirsty.A said...

That's priceless - keep it

Kirsti said...

What a simply gorgeous idea Deb...It's lovely and a wonderful keepsake to look back on!!! Kirsti xxx

Becky said...

This is lovely! What a wonderful thing to stil have and I love Carrie's illustrations.

Sian said...

A perfect, perfect story Deb. It's just like you to have done something so thoughtful and personal - I can just imagine the delight when Carrie recognised all the names of people she loved. I love it. Thanks, Deb - this is what Christmas Club is all about.

Lizzie said...

Wow, lovely story! You should send it to a publisher... if Carrie didn't mind. She must have loved it when you wrote her such great stories.
DS writes stories and does his own illustrations. I still have one from when he was 4 years old, about a disagreement between the Bees and the Wasps, over ownership of the flowers. It was cool. He wrote one in school, called "Rasher the Dragon" and his illustrations were fab.
It's great to have these memories to keep. He's writing a set of children's novels now...

debs14 said...

So cute, I can imagine how much she loved that story. Such sweet little drawings, this is truly a family heirloom!

Margaret said...

What a treasure, and the artwork is pretty amazing for a five year old. I'm so glad you shared this.

Amy said...

Excellent! I think I may have to make one of these with my two :-)

Valerie said...

You should publish that story--seriously that is so cute!

Liberty :) said...

how gorgeous! Im going to steal that idea for when the small people come along in Liberty Cottage

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful story and such a special keepsake. I'm storing this idea away as well.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Will you adopt me please? Because you must be the world's most adorable mom!! I LOVED this post!! you totally rock, Deb!!

humel said...

Deb, this is utterly adorable :-) I've said this before - lucky Carrie! xx

Ruth said...

Now that I've stopped crying, I just have to say that this is a perfect story ~ lucky, lucky Carrie.

Rachel Brett said...

What a lovely idea and Carries drawings are so cute :)

Cate Brickell said...

thank you for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...