Monday, May 31, 2010

Do I look different to you?

...because since I took a class with Donna Downey I have changed.

Oh, but it's a good thing!

I've always admired art that included paint but have always been afraid to try it. In my mind I thought, "I'm not a painter." Oh sure, I can paint a basic frame or wooden box, but painting on canvas and having fun with it? Never before.

And now, never again will I shy away from it. I loved it!!! By the end of the 6-hour class my hands were covered in paint, gesso, gel medium, and ink. It was glorious!!!

And I finally got to use watercolor paints and they were SOOOOO much fun. I want to practice (play with them) for hours!!!

* * * * *

The next couple of photos are of Donna's inspiration journal. She graciously allowed us to photograph it, and I did take a bunch of pictures, but I'll just post my favorites here because you can see them for yourself on her blog.

Over the top creative. I'm swooning again just looking at these photos!

I have to admit that until I signed up for this class at PaperVineyard I had never heard of Donna Downey before - I just signed up because I loved the photos of the project we'd be creating. I have probably seen her work in the past, but never put a name to it. After reading the comments left on my last blog post I was surprised that so many of you knew who she was, so I thought I'd do a little research before I headed to my class that day. By the time I was done and headed over to the class, I was totally star-struck and nervous about being in her presence. :o) Silly, huh?

I will tell you this, Donna is a doll. Very down-to-earth, genuine, funny, talented, great teacher...I could go on and on. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to have met her and learned from her. Thanks to her I have new skills and I plan to use them! A lot.

Thanks, Donna, for the over-the-top-inspiration and the gentle push to try something new! I had a fabulous time at your class!!!

14 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Wooohooo!!!!!
Welcome to my world! Isn't it so much fun?
I love the cover you did with the house and also the page with you and your DH.
Rinda

Lizzie said...

That looks like a fabulous project! So glad you had a good time.
But you still look like you in the photo...

MarleneMAZ said...

Your book looks fabulous ! I am looking forward to seeing what other things you create now :)

scrappyjacky said...

Wow....it all looks great...just love the house...look forward to all your new 'arty' stuff....would love a class like this.

Sian said...

You will never look back! I am more than a little envious I have to say. Looks like you had a fantastic time and what you've done looks gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I love this book and am so glad you took her class! :)

Amy said...

Donna was one of the original Simple scrappers through Simple Scrapbooks - obviously her style changed over the years! I've loved her work since I started scrapping even though her style changed so much - I just love her down to earth attitude towards scrapping and crafting and her colours are always fantastic.... what a great experience for you Deb, I'm looking forward to seeing lots of new and inspired projects!

Dave said...

loveitloveitloveit

Cate Brickell said...

great job! I'm hoping that Claudine Hellmuth's class at BPS next month helps release my inner painter, too!

Rhona said...

It looks like you've had a lot of fun with the project. I have to be honest, I like my clean simple look so for me Donna's work is now too busy but I can still appreciate it for what it is. She always seems such a fun person too!

traci said...

she is amazing. such talent she has. and she seems so fun. i am a little jealous.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun and found some new inspiration! I told you that dry spell wouldn't last and you'd come up with something amazing, didn't I? Love what you came up with. I am in awe of your talents.

melissa kaye said...

Wow, Deb! This book looks pretty amazing. You always create such masterpieces, I swear. ♡

Also, I just checked out Donna's site. I love it! Mucho inspiration!
:)

Kristi Jean said...

Oh MY!!! Deb....can you please just come here are craft with me daily? I love this and wish I could have been there to take this class with you! I may bust out the paint. I have a little extra screen material left, and have an idea to incorporate it onto canvas with paint...I love the idea of a canvas book though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...