Monday, April 12, 2010

This little birdie...

When I find something I enjoy making I'll usually bust out a few of them before moving onto something else. A couple of weeks ago I saw this cute bird garland and was inspired. If I had had thick felt on hand I would have created one exactly like it, but I didn't so I had to improvise.

I decided to stitch two thicknesses of felt together. As I was stitching I thought, "I'll add a little stuffing..." Oh and then, "Some long strands of yarn with a knot at the end for the legs and feet..." I added an eye that I didn't like, so only the first bird got an eye...

I'd been wanting to try my hand at a fabric yo-yo and thought that would be a cute addition...and a button...and half of a large flower folded and inked for a wing...

Carrie wanted one in teal blue so this one came next:
I tried this one with no legs...decided I like with legs better...
And one more for good measure...

So, that's how my creative process works sometimes. I set out to make a plain and simple bird garland, and came up with something fairly different. I'm not sure what I'll do with these...the pink one went to my niece, Savannah. I think I might use the others to tie onto the tops of gift packages.

Doing this post makes me want to create a few more. I have an idea for stitching some with my machine using muslin rather than felt... ~sigh~ My mind just will not stop...

What do you think? Do you like them better with or without legs?

24 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

They're gorgeous,Deb....both types...but do prefer with the legs....would look lovely hanging in a conservatory.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

They are really cute both ways, but I think I like it without the legs. If I made them (um, yeah, sure, Steph!) I might stitch little feet on the body... Well done, Deb. xoxo

sharyncarlson said...

Ohmygosh, Deb!!! These might be the cutest thing I have ever seen! I have an obsession with birds :) I think I like them better with the feet, but they are lovely either way. You are so talented!

Rachel Brett said...

Ooh I love them both! But as I have to choose, I think no feet. They are so gorgeous : )

Scrappi Sandi said...

with legs!! How nice to have a whole string of them...a bit like bunting...or hanging individually on my (huge) umbrella plant!!!

Rosemary said...

Oh my gosh, these are so cute! I have done something like this but I love the variety you have in all your creations!

You need to enter this into our weekly challenge at the Order of the Opus Gluei! Our theme is "For the Birds"

Sian said...

These are gorgeous! Your stitching is so pretty and neat. I'm sure you could find room in your shop for a few..pink or blue versions for a nursery; red or green for Christmas...

Thanks for saying hello yesterday :)

Ruth said...

They're fab! I prefer with legs ... my sister makes something very similar.

Mom said...

Adorable! Legs here! You're coming up with so many cute, clever things! I've got a crafting/baking day ahead of me! Wish me luck! xo

Unknown said...

I love these birds and I'm glad other people do too. :) Can't wait to hang mine up in my new home.

Lizzie said...

These are sooo pretty! I love the buttons, ribbons etc for the wings and tail - and the blanket-stitched edges. They are just lovely.
Saw these the other day and was very tempted... I may have to make some - http://www.dotcomgiftshop.com/bird-shaped-gift-tags?UA-3663501-1=

Anonymous said...

They are fabulous and I am another one for the legs!

Elaine said...

Hi Deb thanks for your kind comments on my blog re my daughter. I love your birdies they are fab x

humel said...

So cute!! Wow! :-) Honestly couldn't choose between the legged and legless varieties lol x

emhowl said...

I think I prefer without legs but have you tried putting on buttons as feet? (BTW I gave in and ordered a butterfly punch!)

Maria Ontiveros said...

These are adorable! The teal one is my favorite. Definitely with legs . . . I think that's what really set these apart from anything I've seen before (that and the fantastic wings).
Rinda

Margaret said...

I love learning about people's creative processes, so that was a really neat post. And the birdies are all adorable.

Jana said...

A*DOR*A*BLE. I love these. I think they are gorgeous with and without legs. I am looking at my kitchen windows with a new project in mind now....Thanks for playing with us at Opus Gluei.

MarleneMAZ said...

I like them both ways as I think they can be used differently. The poor legless birds seem better for me as being hung as an ornament or as a tag topper on a gift. They are all so cute.

Amy said...

Either way! They are utterly sublime - super cute!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oh my goodness...these are adorable! They're So So Cute!!! Great job.
I loved the little book tutorial below, as well as those amazing button and chipboard layouts. You've been having LOTS of fun.
Thank you for your prayers for my mom. She had the "cement" procedure done today. It looks good so far. Time will tell.
M.L.

janae @ jelly roll said...

OMG, these are too stinkin' cute! I NEED a teal one! ;) Both styles are cute but I think I prefer with legs.

Catherine said...

Cute, cute, cute! Both ways are adorable, they just have a different feel to them. I do not think one is better than the other. BTW pink is my favorite color so of course I adore the sweet little pink birdie.
Catherine

Le said...

Wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...