Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dress rehearsal...

...a gift for a friend

It's been a while since I used the Coptic book binding method. Since that's how I plan to bind my niece's wedding guest book, I wanted to do a practice run first. I reviewed this video on YouTube as a reminder, and then I put together this little book (4" x 5") for a co-worker of mine who is leaving next month.

All the materials I used for this book were things I already had on hand. I used mostly scraps from my niece's book - left over book board and scraps of linen paper for the signatures/pages. The diamond paper is some that I've had for a few years now - handmade in India that I purchased at a paper store here in Arizona that is now closed.

It's been a while since I did any kind of book binding, and making this little book made me realize how much I miss it. There will be more handmade books in my future!

xo

14 comments:

humel said...

Oh it looks gorgeous :-) Coptic book binding is one of the (many!) things on my 'must try' list....

PS If you can get it, hydrous ointment *really* helped my eczema x

traci said...

you can do book binding too. girl you are like Martha!!! amazing. it looks beautiful. i am so impressed.

Mom said...

Love it! So neat and precise a person would never guess it was handmade! Are you giving it to her before next week??? I'd love to see it! xo

Unknown said...

That book turned out AWESOME! And now I need to try hydrous ointment. :)

Lizzie said...

Yay! A pretty good effort I think. I haven't done a coptic binding for a few months now.. been concentrating on various others. Time to do some more, now that Spring is nearly here. Thanks for the video link - I will go and look.
I'm sure your friend will be delighted with that lovely book as a present. Linen paper eh - spoilt rotten!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love that technique. Dina taught it in the last art journal class I took. I especially like the way the cover looks.
Nice job!
Rinda

debs14 said...

Wow! How beautiful this is, I've never tried book binding but I know if I did, mine would never be as neat as this!

sharyncarlson said...

Gorgeous! I've never tried book binding before and this is very inspiring!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

You are amazing! I am very impressed! And what a sweet gift for your co-worker. You really are the best.

Best,
Stephanie

MarleneMAZ said...

Your book looks great, I like making books too but have never tried this binding yet.

Catherine said...

Oh I hope you will show more photos as you go along. Also thanks for the link.

Catherine

karen said...

Thanks for the comment.I recognise the faces of a few of your followers.What a small world.I didn't think it rained in Arizona!As usual its raining here in the UK.

Rhona said...

I love the way your book has turned out. I've never tried book binding before but after seeing this I think I may have to have a look at the video. I'm sure your co-worker will love it.

Sian said...

It really is beautiful. A lady of many talents, then!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...