Thursday, January 14, 2010

Accordion fold / morphing picture

A few years ago I worked at a scrapbook store for a while (BEST job ever except for the fact that I spent almost every penny of my paycheck on store product...but I digress...). One of the huge advantages of working there was the constant stream of inspiration I received from my co-workers and our customers.

This framed piece that I made for my daughter a couple years ago was inspired by one of those customers. As you look at it from side-to-side the image changes...
(Photo is of Daughter & me when she was about 3 years old)

(front view)


(Daughter & me about 5 years ago)

The construction of this piece was a bit tricky and took a little trial and error to figure out. Basically, I printed two 8"x8" photos and cut them into 1" strips. Then I pieced together a piece of cardstock to measure 8"x 18" and folded it accordian style in 1" intervals. (You want it to be twice as wide as your photo, plus an extra inch on each side to adhere to the back/base piece.) I cut an 8"x8" hole in the center of my patterned paper, and put the accordion piece into it. (If you are interested in making one of these and have any questions on how it's done please feel free to leave me a comment and I'll try to explain in more detail.)

The journaling came about because back in our "single days," Daughter and I LOVED the show Gilmore Girls. She and I could really identify with the main characters and if you are familiar with the series, you will know the relationship that Daughter and I have - pretty much identical to Lorelei and Rory! Anyway! The theme song for the show was Carole King's "Where You Lead" and we used to sing it at the top of our lungs every time the show came on.

Here's a shot of the wall it hangs on in my craft room. It's a special addition to my little collection.

12 comments:

Mom said...

I've read the instructions, I've seen the actual picture in person and close up, and I'm still in awe! To all your blog followers out there I'd like to say this is one amazing photo layout! xo

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Thanks, Mom. :o) I realized after I looked back at this post that my photos aren't the greatest...should have turned the flash off and waited for better natural light in the room. Oh well. It's still one of my favorite pieces.

MarleneMAZ said...

I love this idea and I am sure it takes some planning but the result is terrific.

Ruth said...

You're going to have to do a tutorial, because that is amazing ... and I want to know how to do it!!!

Cate Brickell said...

it looks awesome... we're another former "gilmore girls" style mum and daughter team here, that show really spoke to our hearts!

Emilie Lynne said...

That is just the sweetest and coolest thing I have ever seen! I am going to make one of these for my mom for mother's day! She will love it so much!

Kristi Jean said...

I see you are in the "new" craft room! :)

And that truly was/is a great project!

MagicLady said...

What a fantastic layout. I've gotta have a go at one of those :)

Babs (Blogging for Scrapbookers)

Sian said...

Wow, I've never seen anything like this before! Very, very clever.

humel said...

Oh, wow! I love this! I so have to try this technique! Thanks for passing on the inspiration x

Lizzie said...

Ooh, fabulous! That's a great idea - it could be used for so many things that change in some way. I will definitely try it some time (soon? hmm).
I love the Gilmore Girls! Discovered the show last year, when I was stuck in front of the tv most of the day (and night), due to my injury. They started running the series right through again recently - great because I had come into it half-way through, so I got to see the early episodes that I'd missed. We're just back to the point I discovered it last year - so I can try to catch up with the episodes I missed, due to the heating being fixed or the builders making too much noise or disconnecting the tv aerial!
Thanks for sharing your idea and your little story - love it!

traci said...

you are so amazing. i love that!!! wow is all i can say!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...