Saturday, November 19, 2011

Manly Hand Scrub

I love a man who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.
Many of you know that my husband, Doug, is a painting contractor.
Let me tell you, his hands get dirty during the course of his day.


Doug's paint sprayer sprung a leak the other day and he came home with [more] paint on his hands [than usual]. I handed him a tube of my apricot face scrub and it did the trick, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone that he used a girlie product.

I was inspired by an idea I saw here for this easy sugar scrub and I couldn't wait to make a manly version for Doug.


I've had this juniper scented body wash for the longest time {Carrie, I think it was yours...} and decided to use it to make the scrub. I just combined it with sugar, stirred it up, and it was done. I really liked this recipe because it's the first I've seen that didn't call for some sort of oil to be added. Oil can make for a very slippery shower/bath tub floor.


Some things to note about this process:
* I found it difficult to stir this stuff in the jar, so I ended up dumping the whole thing into a bowl to mix it.
* You need way more sugar than soap. It seemed like it wasn't going to combine well, but the longer I stirred the better it got.
* I used this plastic flip-top container {See? I knew there was a good reason to save it for all this time!} because he'll use this in the shower and I didn't want a breakable jar.
* I used soap I had on hand, but next time I'll probably invest in a more masculine scent.
* This would be a great gift-idea for crafting friends who end up with lots of glue and paint on their hands - tied up in a pretty jar... The possibilities are endless!


Lastly, I labeled it so there would be no question about it being manly.
♦ ♦ ♦

27 comments:

humel said...

What a great idea! I don't think The Doctor would use it even with the label, but then, he doesn't get his hands dirty often.... I'm glad you didn't tell us Doug used your apricot face scrub, he might be a bit upset if you mentioned it ;)

Michellefinaz said...

I'm totally going to be making some for my BIL, he would use it if it said manly. He lives in a house full of little girls.

Jan said...

I love your post! What a great idea! I love your blog too! Thanks again for sharing!

Marti said...

Good idea. All my auto mechanic friends are going to get a jar.

Mom said...

Aren't you clever? Between you and Google, I can do anything! Funny how the sugar doesn't disolve..... See you in a few days! Love! xo

Mom said...

My thankful list didn't post!

1. Stone!!
2. Good people in this world who appreciate the meaning of family!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Another great idea from the 'Paper Turtle'! Thanks for sharing.
I've been away from Blogland since Sara was in town. But I scrolled back to see that you made the cornucopias. You did a WONDERFUL job! I loooove your tags! Thanks for the shout-out. : )
Happy Thanksgiving,
Mary Lou

Sian said...

What a clever idea! You have made me realise - that "sugar soap" my husband has - is it actually sugar then? I hadn't thought of that!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh I can feel a batch of this coming along as Christmas presents!

Alison said...

LOVE the label....great idea!

Amanda said...

Now this would have come in handy here today as the man in my life has just come home with very black hands after his chain snapped on his bike. Not a happy bunny :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Cheri said...

Cute gift idea and probably way less expensive than something branded for scrubbing manly hands. Love the tag - too bad he'll have to take it off before he hits the shower!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the ribbon and tag detail - perfectly manly. Somehow the idea of getting clean with sugar though seems a little counter-intuitive???
Let me know how it works.
Rinda

Amy said...

The Engineer will be so relieved when he learns that another bloke has had to resort to his wife's apricot facial scrub - he won't feel so lonely now! ;-)

I have heard that salt works equally as effectively!

Irene said...

You have so many great ideas. Your packaging makes it look like something you buy at an expensive salon.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

If you're using it just on hands (not the face)coffee grounds work even better at removing paint in a scrub. Guess how I know? I'm a messy painter :)

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It's a great idea- and a pretty scent can make it girly! xoxo

Shay said...

Great idea! Shay :) http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

Jenifer Harrod said...

Love it!
Please come to my party:
www.thezkids.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Hello
Just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned this post on my blog eatcraftsow@gmail.com. Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to remove. Have a great day!!!!

Juliane said...

I made this a month ago or so to add into the foot pampering kits I made for Christmas. Of course I had to try it out myself and I loved it! It's also good that there's no oil in it because I'm told that oil is not good for septic systems.

Nikki Comma said...

Love this idea! Great post. Going to put some together as gifts I think.

Unknown said...

Question! Do you think this will work with a shower gel or not creamy body wash???

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Yes, Kacey. Any type of liquid soap will work for this!

Gabrielle said...

Just whipped up a batch of this using Zest body wash and it turned out great! I had to test it of course, left my hands really soft. I think I'll be making some to keep as well.

Unknown said...

Made some for Christmas gifts! They turned out great! I used 2in1 bodywash and shampoo from bath and body works! Smells fabulous and leaves skin super soft! I made 10 16oz mazon jars full! The proportions I used if you want to make a big batch was 8lbs of sugar and 4 12oz bottles of soap. This made 10 of them! Thank you for posting this recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...